1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creaking panasonic plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by haujobbz, Jul 2, 2003.

1. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    This noise is buggin me now:mad:

I know there was a post on it b4

have any of you rectified this problem,is it serious.:confused:

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    It was my post and unfortunately, there is no cure.

Mine went back to Toshiba (For 2 months) and when it came back, it wasn't much better.. But it did come back with 132 hours extra on the clock and loads of finger prints.

So.. I got a replacement and this one doesn't "creak" AT ALL!!

It seems that if you have a creaking unit, you just have to live with it.. Based on my experiences, its not worth getting it looked at.

3. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So im not alone:eek:

What happened john, did it break or something:rolleyes:

Is it the casing creaking or something else.

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Jon, I read your threads regarding this matter.

It's fairly annoying and painful when you spend that much of your hard-earned on something like this, and your enjoyment is spoiled by "silly" faults which you would not expect.

Hope you are enjoying plasma life now - I will be wall-mounting my plasma in approx. 1 month and I am slightly apprehensive!

Haujobbz - keep up the good work fella, through your quest for knowledge and improvement we will all learn something new (I know I have). Hope you can resolve your problem!

Fellow plasma enthusiast,

Kazuya.

5. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    cheers kazuya:smashin: :hiya:

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    On mine, it was the plastic case which was making the noise.

If I went upto the screen and grabbed the sides and gave it a slight twist, I could hear that 'creaking' noise that I got whilst it was running.

On my original screen, it did it every few seconds for the duration that the screen was one.

Eventually, I felt that I should get this fixed under my warranty and arranged for Toshiba to look at it.

They were VERY efficient.. The came and picked up my screen in a big 'flight case' and left me with a tatty loan set (PW16)

To my horror, this one creaked as well.. Not as bad as mine, but it still creaked!

I then felt a little guilty that I had wasted their time, but after talking to Toshiba they felt that my return was justified.

However, the efficiency that they had initally shown stopped here.. It took the 4 weeks to get my screen into their workshop and another month to get it back to me.

Exactly (to the day) 2 months from the day they collected it, my screen came back.. But when we opened the case, I was horrified. The screen was covered in fingerprints and it looked a mess (when it went back it was immaculate)

Worse still.. When I went into the service menu, it had 132 hours on the clock, where as it had 650 hours before it went back.

To me this means that they did a factory reset and then ran it for 5.5 days CONTINUOUSLY in their workshop and I was far from happy.

The 'creaking' problem was still there, although I have to admit that it was slightly better.

I escallated this to management and they agreed that it was unacceptable and arrnaged for me to get a new unit.

That came on Monday and until I read this post, forgot all about the 'creaking' issue. Last night I realised that the new one does not make any 'creaking' noise AT ALL!

I wonder if there have been some slight 'modifications' in the later batches?

But, if my experience is anything to go by, there is no solution to this problem. If it goes off for repair, its seems that there is nothing they can do.

7. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 50" Panny began to creak after I had it off its stand. I realised the creaking was probably caused by tension in either the case around the screen or the glass shelf on which the plasma sits. I lifted one end of the plasma so that its suction foot came away, then lowered it back again thus relieving the tension. It's been fine since.

8. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    My panny must be the latest batch, ive only had it 3 weeks:rolleyes:

My wife said it reminded her of rice crispies:rotfl: :(

9. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I'm not sure if this is 'creaking,' but I recently bought a Panasonic 42" series 5 model. It was fine for the first couple of weeks, but over the past few days, it emits a slight buzz from time to time. After experimenting with various settings, it appears to be worst when there is bright information on the screen. The darker the picture, the less annoying the buzz is.

Is there a fix for this, or do I have to live with it?

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Stigdu,

The problem you have is not the 'creaking' issue.. The Buzzing problem you describe is very common on the Panasonic and Toshiba screens (just do a search on this very forum)

The creaking problem being discussed here, is a plasticy 'creak' that the plasma makes as it warms up.. Its purly a mechanical noise from the frame/chasis, rather than anything inside the pannel.

11. stigdu

stigdu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    OK, thanks Jon - I shall just make sure I turn my movies up nice and loud! :)

12. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Oh no even a buzzing, thats 1 more problem to the pile.

Saying that on being made aware of these problems im gonna more likely look 4 these faults now:rolleyes:

Im still sane though;)

13. cwoo

cwoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read thru this post, is it correct that there is a greater chance of "creaking" with wall mount over table mount?

14. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'buzzing' is only noticable if you really listen for it. Did you ever become concerned by the whistle you have from a CRT tv tube or the noise the motor makes on your VCR? Really none of these things are 'faults' but nor can we expect a 'perfect' machine. They don't exist.