Creaking Floor boards & Acoustic underlay

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

A couple of questions if I may.

Approx 18 months ago we moved into a 13-year-old 3-floor house, originally built by Bloor Homes.
We noticed that when initially looking around the place, before deciding to buy it, that the floors on the 1st & 2nd floors in most rooms were quite creaky.
We're now coming close to the point where we want to start replacing the existing carpet in the house which looks like it's the original from when the house was built. The underlay, although I haven't bought any of it up yet, appears to be the cheapest going, as it provides non-existent cushioning / soundproofing underfoot.

The creaking floorboards I suspect are a result of this poor quality material laid in the house from the outset. So, what I could do with knowing is, when we come to replace the underlay and carpet in each room, how would it be best to address the creaking floorboards before we put down new underlay and carpet on top. I'm guessing that the boards will most likely be something like 20/30mm chipboard sat on the joists. Is it a simple case of adding more screws along the line of the joists to fasten the board more securely to it so that it removes the give between the two?

Also, has anyone laid acoustic carpet underlay in their house and has it made a real difference, and could you recommend a make that isn't going to impact WiFi signal too much between floors?

Much appreciated

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
You might find the floor boards just need the screws tightening, if they didn’t use nails. It’s best to pull the carpet up in one of the rooms that is squeaky to see what the situation is, otherwise it’s all a bit of speculation.

TayWax

Distinguished Member
How easy is it to put the carpet back? My floor boards are incredibly creaky but reluctant to lift carpet if its not going to go back fitted as nicely as it was

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
If you’ve got a carpet gripper, very easy.
You need to weigh up whether the squeaky boards are worth the investigation

NatTheGooner

You could swap out the screws or screw adjacent to nails with Floor-Tite screws.
They are coated in a blue lubricant which should reduce squeaking. It’s worth a go. Be careful not to put screws into fresh places in case you hit a pipe or a cable routed through the joist below.

ufo550

Hi all,

A couple of questions if I may.

Approx 18 months ago we moved into a 13-year-old 3-floor house, originally built by Bloor Homes.
We noticed that when initially looking around the place, before deciding to buy it, that the floors on the 1st & 2nd floors in most rooms were quite creaky.
We're now coming close to the point where we want to start replacing the existing carpet in the house which looks like it's the original from when the house was built. The underlay, although I haven't bought any of it up yet, appears to be the cheapest going, as it provides non-existent cushioning / soundproofing underfoot.

The creaking floorboards I suspect are a result of this poor quality material laid in the house from the outset. So, what I could do with knowing is, when we come to replace the underlay and carpet in each room, how would it be best to address the creaking floorboards before we put down new underlay and carpet on top. I'm guessing that the boards will most likely be something like 20/30mm chipboard sat on the joists. Is it a simple case of adding more screws along the line of the joists to fasten the board more securely to it so that it removes the give between the two?

Also, has anyone laid acoustic carpet underlay in their house and has it made a real difference, and could you recommend a make that isn't going to impact WiFi signal too much between floors?

Much appreciated
You might wish to do some research before you do anything. In new builds, there are lots of issues with creaking floors, primarily done to poor installation and installing the chipboard before the property is weather tight.

Have a read of this thread. There are many others, its a common problem.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
You might wish to do some research before you do anything. In new builds, there are lots of issues with creaking floors, primarily done to poor installation and installing the chipboard before the property is weather tight.

Have a read of this thread. There are many others, its a common problem.
Thanks ufo, very useful info indeed.. Unfortunately, unlike a lot of the people in that thread, the NHBC 10 year house warranty expired 3 years ago for our property.. Well after we moved in.

However, there is still some good info in there as to how to look at potentially addressing the issue.
What a shame that this is a common problem with new builds, and I tend to agree with many of the posters, that new houses are knocked up far too quickly resulting in not allow for proper moisture release/drying out before laying these types of floors.

Seems these stages of house builds are being rushed to get the house occupied ASAP and unfortunately it's the consumer that yet again pays the price for shoddy workmanship.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Think i'm erring on the side of caution with this and may get a chippy in to do this work.
Just have visions of me putting a screw through a cable or pipe. Speaking to a few people about it, they say that my best bet would be to use 'floor-tite' screws adjacent to the present ones to secure the boards better to the joists, but guess I would need a decent cable/pipe detector just to make sure I'm not going to do some serious costly damage.

Looking ar the rads though, their pipes look to be running behind the rad units into the walls using this grey flexi pipe stuff, rather than copper pipes coming our from the floors.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Could you not use the floor-tite screws in a slighty larger size than the original. Remove original, screw larger screw into same hole?

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Could you not use the floor-tite screws in a slighty larger size than the original. Remove original, screw larger screw into same hole?
It's a good point Kyle and I have indeed contemplated it. However, I am worried that where there is already a hole made from the previous screw, it won't be as solid a fixing as putting a new floor-tite screw-in adjacent to it. God forbid I do that, lay the new carpet and it starts creaking again in a month or two. I only ever want to do this once while I have this opportunity, so want to kind of mitigate any risks.

ufo550

Thanks ufo, very useful info indeed.. Unfortunately, unlike a lot of the people in that thread, the NHBC 10 year house warranty expired 3 years ago for our property.. Well after we moved in.

However, there is still some good info in there as to how to look at potentially addressing the issue.
What a shame that this is a common problem with new builds, and I tend to agree with many of the posters, that new houses are knocked up far too quickly resulting in not allow for proper moisture release/drying out before laying these types of floors.

Seems these stages of house builds are being rushed to get the house occupied ASAP and unfortunately it's the consumer that yet again pays the price for shoddy workmanship.
I’m generally pleased with the build on mine.

We did have two areas on the first floor with squeaky floorboards. I flagged them up on the snagging list, and they were booked to come and fix them, when the first locked down happened. By the time that ended, one of the areas stopped squeaking, so they rectified just that one.

Now the other area has started again, as well as the stairs now. I’ve decided I’ll fix it myself; the carpet will need to come up on the landing, and the stairs I will tackle from below.

But that’s a future project, as it’s stopped bugging me at the moment.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
I’m generally pleased with the build on mine.

We did have two areas on the first floor with squeaky floorboards. I flagged them up on the snagging list, and they were booked to come and fix them, when the first locked down happened. By the time that ended, one of the areas stopped squeaking, so they rectified just that one.

Now the other area has started again, as well as the stairs now. I’ve decided I’ll fix it myself; the carpet will need to come up on the landing, and the stairs I will tackle from below.

But that’s a future project, as it’s stopped bugging me at the moment.
It is annoying isn't it. Especially when like our gaff, around 60% of the 1st & 2nd floors creak loudly enough to wake my two young children and the wife, who can hear a mouse fart from 3 miles when sleeping!! The amount of tiptoeing I have to do around the house of a night is unreal...

NatTheGooner

Think i'm erring on the side of caution with this and may get a chippy in to do this work.
Just have visions of me putting a screw through a cable or pipe. Speaking to a few people about it, they say that my best bet would be to use 'floor-tite' screws adjacent to the present ones to secure the boards better to the joists, but guess I would need a decent cable/pipe detector just to make sure I'm not going to do some serious costly damage.

Looking ar the rads though, their pipes look to be running behind the rad units into the walls using this grey flexi pipe stuff, rather than copper pipes coming our from the floors.
Good move, I managed put a screw directly into a pipe while waiting for a carpet fitter to arrive 😑

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
When I move in, I pulled the floors up to put some more sockets in and whoever put the floor down managed to nail through a live mains cable!

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
So anyone got 'Tredaire Colours Red' underlay in their house and can vouch for it? Quite a thick and heavy sponge type underlay and appears to be one of the better ones out there for noise reduction between floors?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom