Crazy world of headphones

P

parge

OMG! I think I have just stumbled upon a whole culture of technology that I didnt even know existed!

I started off just wanting some over ear headphones, but after doing a bit of research I'm now even more confused about all this than when I began, its BAFFLING!

Ok, so I want some over ears for use with my Sony HD5 MP3 player, I listen to all types of music, mostly Indie kinda stuff though.

I have 2 needs: 1. Style 2. None of this 'amp' lark

The grado sr60s look horrible IMO, and the sennheiser 515s (which look orgasmic) need an amp so im pretty stuck! Probably want to spend between £40 and £60....

Any ideas????

Hmmmmm.

I come to this as an audio purist.

Your main criteria is style. No mention of sound quality.

And you listen to MP3's - Ok - So it isn't surprising you didn't mention sound quality.

Frankly, just buy a pair you like the look of.

You don't appear to care about the quality, and frankly with MP3, wouldn't be able to hear it anyway.

Save yourself a bundle of cash.

K

no, i mean, i dont want them to sound aweful, at the moment my mp3s are all encoded in 132kbps ATRAC 3 PLUS, and I have Sennheiser MX500s to get the best out of the music.

So then, any ideas? sennheisers?

I have a pair of shure e2c used with my Sony HD1. Honestly i think these earphones are too good for indie music. In general the recording quality is poor and they just show up the imperfections in each recording. Same on my hifi so i rarely listen to indie stuff anymore. Sounded as good as anything else on my old stereo/cheap earphones

So, get some cheap ones you like the look of

Excellent, cheers guys, will have a browse and hit you back with some options! (oh ben btw, im after some over ears)

Think I am gonna go for the Sennheiser 485's, they seem to have good reviews, especially for using with a portable music player as they only have 32Ohms impedimence, plus the cable is replaceable with a shorter one, sound quality supposedly very balanced, and finally, they look cool!

If any other newbies out there want some over ear headphones for their portable devices start by looking at the 485's, I trawled through a lot of audiophile crap before I found these! Will let you know what they sound like!

Karma said:
Hmmmmm.

I come to this as an audio purist.

Your main criteria is style. No mention of sound quality.

And you listen to MP3's - Ok - So it isn't surprising you didn't mention sound quality.

Frankly, just buy a pair you like the look of.

You don't appear to care about the quality, and frankly with MP3, wouldn't be able to hear it anyway.

Save yourself a bundle of cash.

K

Oooh, get a load of him! :rotfl: Nose so high up in the air I'm surprised he can breathe :laugh:

An MP3 at high bitrates is capable of giving any audio system a decent workout - even though yes it's not quite as good as the original. Those who say otherwise don't own the decent stuff and have little experience with computer-based audio.

That aside, take a look at the Sennheiser miniphones like the PX100 and the PX200. 200 keeps out outside noise (more useful), costs more than 100 but sounds worse (the penalty of keeping noise out). Both of these have quite a 'docile' sound in line with many other Sennheiser phones, which don't shout out the effects of badly encoded MP3 files, if you own any. Yet they provide decent enough performance to tell the difference between good and bad encodes.

extremelydodgy said:
Oooh, get a load of him! :rotfl: Nose so high up in the air I'm surprised he can breathe :laugh:

ha ha, yeah, i thought that as well, but he was trying to help me out so I let it go!

I have looked at the PX100/200's and their fidelity is supposedly fantastic but im really after some over the ear style phones

PX100 / 200 are over the ear headphones :confused:

Do you mean full sized circumaural headphones?

If you want some full sized circumaural phones that can be driven by an ipod, then I will sell you my Goldring DR150's if you like. They are a new design, and sound pretty nice with an ipod. They are comfortable and look decent.

If you want any more info, PM me.

The Goldrings are unsuitable for two major reasons: 3m cable, borderline efficiency for use with the HD5's 5mw output in anywhere but indoor situations.

HD215 is an option. It is fully circumaural (around the ear) and is isolated, so although it has about the same effective efficiency as the Goldrings it's a lot more usable. It may be a little on the over-polite side but it does have a pronounced ability to do very low bass. Lookswise, who knows, it might look good on you. The 3m cable is curly, meaning effectively about a 1.5m cable... so long but usable.
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/500156
http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productSearch&id=6404&topcatid=2

The other option is the similar looking HD485. This is open and over the ear like the Grados. Can't tell you too much about it but it's well rated.
http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/500266
http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productSearch&id=6404&topcatid=2

There are more options in terms of supra-aural (sits on the ear) phones for the sub-£100 area. As pbirkett said, it might be best if you defined 'on the head' to us better.

If you want something seriously good looking I'm considering getting rid of my Qualia 010. I might be inviting offers, however new they're £1500 ;)

ha ha, ta matey, I have been looking closely at the 485s, they look like the ones to go for and have seen them on the net for under £40, plus it has a detachable cable (so i can get rid of those bastard long ones entirely)

In regards to the qualia, I open the bidding at £40!!!

(seriously, who here has £1500 to spend on headphones!?)

Edit: actually I have decided the 485s gold kinda colour might make me look like a pimp so I might go with the 215's instead!

parge said:
ha ha, ta matey, I have been looking closely at the 485s, they look like the ones to go for and have seen them on the net for under £40, plus it has a detachable cable (so i can get rid of those bastard long ones entirely)

In regards to the qualia, I open the bidding at £40!!!

(seriously, who here has £1500 to spend on headphones!?)

Edit: actually I have decided the 485s gold kinda colour might make me look like a pimp so I might go with the 215's instead!

The detachable cable socket is recessed and you can't just use any old 3.5mm jack at the headphone end with these phones. Worth bearing in mind. The 215's were the phones in the Nokia ads they run recently for the N91 with the big black phones on the blokes head, I don't know if you caught those. If you're in London there are places (I know the shop I linked to have them on display, but not always available to hear) that you can check out how both look 'in the flesh'.

40 quid? Well that gets you a pack of 8 plugs that I still have left for the Qualia's cable connectors :rotfl:

Talking about MP3's through headphones actually, I've done stuff that will probably make Karma have a coronary. The rather unassuming phone in the pic hooked up to the Nano playing a 256K MP3 is the Sennheiser Orpheus (for me at least it definitely didn't end at £1500). Sounds not far off the CD to me I have to say. There is a difference of course which is very clear at times, but if you're listening casually it's not worth worrying about over. And if you have played back decent rips on a truly high-end system, you'll be aware that the systematic improvements even carry across to compressed audio played back on it. Obviously you're not maxing out the system's capability, but the level of improvement over a lesser system can still be heard with high-bitrate compressed audio.

recessed? oh ***! there is no way im walking around with a 3m cable trailing along like some sort of tail

there are no good circumaural (be impressed with my jargon use!) headphones out there for people listening on portables!

The HD215's effective length is about 1.5m as it has a curly cable. The 485 claims 'adjustable length' for the cable.

There's the Sony MDR-D66SL headphone, which is import only from places like audiocubes.com and bluetin.com. This is circumaural and super-compact for such a type, isn't that isolated but is usable, folds up, works well with Sony portables (well duh :D ). Look it up.

actually I did have a look at those, but like you say, had big trouble getting hold of somewhere that sold them.

Thanks for the pointer, will have a look!

in regards to the coiled cable, thats all very well, but those things weigh a ton!

The 22's aren't worth it. Tinny, splashy sound. It's moddable for better tone, but you're limited by the driver. Get the 66... it has a surprisingly 'grown up' sound for such small phones. Not bass monsters but rather nicely balanced.

do you really think!?

Edit: ok, you audiophile bastards have worn me down, I have caved and ordered the MDR-66SL's. Im such a sucker for technology!

extremelydodgy said:

An MP3 at high bitrates is capable of giving any audio system a decent workout - even though yes it's not quite as good as the original. Those who say otherwise don't own the decent stuff and have little experience with computer-based audio.

I'm glad you put the " :D " in. and you realised it wasn't TOTALLY serious.

Parge : I shouldn't have been quite as blunt. Sorry.

I read my comments back the next day and cringed. This has been the first time I've had the courage to pop back and look since then and frankly am grateful I was let off so lightly.

I have a big "post it note" on my computer now that says do not post after a mega long day and when tired and had a drink.

Today, quite sober. But still confess I hate compressed audio and with a few others try to campaign for good sound. Yes it can sound reasonable and has a purpose, but still shows its weaknesses on a good system. Sadly when adopting audio formats the audio industry has a long history of taking the path of the lowest common denominator.

I'm fortunate in that I work with some of the best equipment available, and now can reliably tell you what codec has been used when playing back different audio formats, I am so familiar with the different sounds of compressed audio.

I did mention that I was an audio purist and so you know which direction I'm coming from I have always thought that CD was seriously flawed too (and, no, I'm not an analogue junkie). What a mistake to limit its top end frequency to 20kHz.

Anyway, to Parge. Good hunting. Try before you buy. If you do any listening on 'phones make sure you get the best you can afford, that sound good, and don't induce distortion at louder levels. (You want to still be able to listen to music when you are my age..........just south of ancient!)

K

ha ha, well, just as well I didnt come back with a ruthless reply. Didnt think it would be a prudent course of action on my second post on the board!

Though I have to say that I did get the impression that this was one of those kinda sites, you know, where you go on and if you havent got like 300000982938 posts then everyone ignores you.

Still, no harm done, gone for the Sony 66 Eggos in the end, lightweight, good enough sound, and also one of the few circumaural (look at me, im a natural audiophile geek) phones which dont require a power station to get some kind of volume outta them! Ta for all your help!

parge said:
(look at me, im a natural audiophile geek)

Join the club! :hiya:

Nice one Parge. and no, you don't need a gazillion posts. There's some good advice to be found on here. And everyone is friendly and helpful....honest! :oops:

Enjoy the 'phones.

K

Oh my god! My Eggos arrived today! Im no audiophile, but these things are AMAZING! Puts the Sennheiser MX500's to shame, the sound is orgasmic, they are comfortable, so light, loud and dont even interfer with my piercings! I seriously recommend these to anyone with an MP3 player who wants some proper headphones!

parge out!

Always good to see a satisfied customer :D

If you do get the hankering to upgrade, my Qualias are now definitely up for grabs ;)

extremelydodgy said:
Always good to see a satisfied customer :D

If you do get the hankering to upgrade, my Qualias are now definitely up for grabs ;)

Stick them in your "box o crap" and i'll be interested of course at £170 inc

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom