Quantcast

Question Crazy to buy a 5g phone ?

Yes it is foolish, I wouldn't bother with 5g considering that China and Japan have started researching into 6g:

sagaris99

Yes it is foolish, I wouldn't bother with 5g considering that China and Japan have started researching into 6g:

To say 'don't bother' with 5G in general is a little short sighted.
In OP's situation, it wouldn't be worth it currently, but those in 5G areas it's more than worth it.
5G is all one needs to worry about in the UK for the next 10 years at least.

Ormy

5G itself is pretty pointless unless you have unlimited data. 4G is capable of 100Mbit/sec speeds. If you saturated the connection, a 20GB data plan would last you all of half an hour. Why do you need faster speeds than that?

Also 5G coverage in the UK is spotty at best.

Furthermore 5G technology is not mature yet, the 5G radios in most phones use much more energy than 4G meaning shorter battery life.

sagaris99

5G itself is pretty pointless unless you have unlimited data. 4G is capable of 100Mbit/sec speeds. If you saturated the connection, a 20GB data plan would last you all of half an hour. Why do you need faster speeds than that?

Also 5G coverage in the UK is spotty at best.

Furthermore 5G technology is not mature yet, the 5G radios in most phones use much more energy than 4G meaning shorter battery life.
Which is why there's a major push now from all providers to promote unlimited plans. Voda first, EE followed, then 3 and O2. I pay £24 a month for unlimited data volume and speed, which covers £10 spotify - in effect, £14 a month for my phone bill - pretty affordable now.

I agree with you re coverage, but the networks haven't been live with 5G even 9 months. The install and modifiction costs of a 5G site a significanty more than a 4G site, so it's understandable that they're not rushing out to have a site enabled everywhere. It's the same story with 4g. People were happy with 3G, didn't see the point it until coverage was there.
We need time for the 5g tech to develop in phones, become cheaper and increase in pickup - watch the demand for it surge when Apple bring out a 5g iphone, everyone will care about it then - because it'll be 'new'o_O

It's in its infancy, sure. I took issue with it being labelled as a waste of time, and instead to focus on 6G.

Fundamentally, the optimal use for 5G isn't in phones.

depot

It was more the phone I liked , rather than the 5g, full screen, snapdragon 855, 3800mah battery, superb build,and I like xiaomi’s

sagaris99

It was more the phone I liked , rather than the 5g, full screen, snapdragon 855, 3800mah battery, superb build,and I like xiaomi’s
If you like the phone, go for it - nice spec at a decent price
Carry on with your existing contract until you want to step up to 5G, or you can take out a new 5G ready contracts for competitive prices which will latch on to 5G when you're within range.
I pass through London, Manch and Brum often, and I notice the range improving regularly

Ormy

watch the demand for it surge when Apple bring out a 5g iphone, everyone will care about it then - because it'll be 'new'o_O
Everyone will care about the new iphone, because it's the new iphone. Even if it didn't have 5G people would still be queuing/camping outside apple stores in their hundreds for the midnight release.

Fundamentally, the optimal use for 5G isn't in phones.
Exactly.

dts197

Distinguished Member

Yeah, let's not bother buying anything because "research" is being done on the next big thing.

If it's a phone you like and not available in non 5G, just buy it. It's not like you're paying a huge premium for 5G on that particular phone.

depot

Don’t think I will be buying it, doing some research it seems likely it won’t be a big seller, so less likely to get fast updates/support/bug fixes.

thanks for your replies. 👍

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I won't buy into it unless it is free, really do not see the need for that speed on a phone. 4G is way fast enough. Now using 5G for home use maybe, but thats it.

TheJarv

I dont live in a 5g area but have preordered the Samsung S20+ which is a default 5g phone, enquired with o2 they offered me 100gb of 5g data for £20, looking to test it when i'm in London

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
100G for a phone, that would be around 50 Netflix HD movies, have I lost the plot on what a phone is used for? 20G I can understand.

sagaris99

100G for a phone, that would be around 50 Netflix HD movies, have I lost the plot on what a phone is used for? 20G I can understand.
Data hotspot tethering, downloading of large files.
My average data usage is between 65-75 GB per month.

dr_jon

I think the main thing with 5G is not getting stuck at an event where you have all the bars on 4G but almost no bandwidth as you're sharing it with a near infinite number of other people... rather than ultimate speed.
It would be nice to listen to the Internet Radio commentary at a Premier League game, for example...
Or just post an image to Facebook/whatever in sub four minutes...

damo09

ive just pre ordered the s20plus, I think its a 5g phone, but is 4g really too slow for your needs??

TheJarv

ive just pre ordered the s20plus, I think its a 5g phone, but is 4g really too slow for your needs??
No really but when offered a 5g data plan with double the data for the same price as my current 4g plan your not going to say no!

Latest News

Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung 2020 TV app lineup upgraded
  • By Andy Bassett