1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy seating idea!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nathsea, Apr 13, 2004.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,

Getting on with my dedicated room and starting to think about seating.

At this time we can`t really afford nice recliner seats etc. So I thought how about building a large bench seat about 8` wide by 4` deep, covering it with foam and the loads of cushions, almost like a large pit!! so as we can either lay or sit or do whatever :devil: !!

Then underneath I thought I could have my equipment rack , this will free up space at the front end of the room (as we dont have the largest space available) it will also allow easy access to the controllers for the consoles / keyboard etc?

All comments appreciated - am I utterley stupid and should go and buy some seats from Ikea? or do you think it will work?

Many thanks in advance

Nathan

2. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good to me Nathan. Amp underneath should provide a nice bit of heat too :smashin:

Regards

3. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, depending on what you use for amplification, it might well be too much heat (especially in the summer months)

I know my amps run very, very hot.

4. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks for the replies,

I thought that i could vent the shelves underneath to the rear as they go to the utility room. Would this cut down on the heat?

Also has anybody used foam for this sort of thing before is it actually comfy or would I have to perhaps look for some sort of filling and make a cover to hold it in (like a bean bag but full of something else!) :p

keep the suggestions coming - many thanks

Nathan

5. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The trouble with heat, is that it rises!

regardless ofhow many vents you put in, it will still get hot (that is of course only if your equipment runs hot)

Foam would be much easier to work with and you can buy it online in a miltitude of thinknesses and grades cut to sze for the exact dimensions you require.

This foam is actually the stuff used in making sofas/armchairs and the like, so it really wouldn't be that far removed from the quality of a regular sofa if you built it properly.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    also your movement on the seat could cause your dvd player to move and give you minor playback issues

ad

7. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    ahh.... good thinking, how about if i put some fans in to draw the heat away , would this work ? I suppose it would but it will be quite noisey!!

8. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you went for 80mm silent fans you wouldn't hear much at all.

just make sure you fit them the right way round;)

It will still get bloody warm though!!

9. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I missed this post - some input for you..

A futon mattress would be about the right size ? - maybe with some large cushions at the edges.

The fan ideas are good - maybe line the bottom of the seat with silver foil to insulate. - If you think heat would be a problem.

If your worried about the dvd skipping etc, then build a seat first, with a couple of gaps beneath that you can slide a standalone rack or two into - then the racks are isolated from the seat...

Think about adding a couple off bass shakers to the seat for when your doing 'whatever':devil: :D

Good luck with the project - post piccies!

Rob