Crazy Samurai: 400 vs. 1 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I suspected this was why Coz had changed his name, congrats Mark! ;) :smashin:

Another movie I can strike off a list I dont have, a fine review mate.
I think if it had taken just one of its two constraining factors - the one take film OR the one-man vs 400 - it would have been so much more successful. But coming from such random origins - a ten minute single take action scene in another film that got cancelled was expanded - it never really had a hope. Technically amazing - how on earth they began to choreograph over an hours worth of swordplay is beyond me, probably with an awful lot of semi-improvisation - it just needed a better film to show that side of it off.......

Totally agree, the one shot method is a magnificent achievement but the subject matter doesn’t tempt me at all. Like you say it’s a rinse and repeat formula for numbness.
Every now and then I’ll watch the one shot take at the beginning of Stan and Ollie just to remind myself of how technically accomplished it can be.

Cheers Bri - the Hardcore Henry comparison is interesting. I really liked that film and where that differs from this is that it pauses to introduce not just variety but actual story: the action beats were able to use VFX so had a lot more spectacle to them and the best scene by a country mile was actually a Sharlto Copley comedy routine!

Cheers Bri - the Hardcore Henry comparison is interesting. I really liked that film and where that differs from this is that it pauses to introduce not just variety but actual story: the action beats were able to use VFX so had a lot more spectacle to them and the best scene by a country mile was actually a Sharlto Copley comedy routine!
Yes it certainly wasn't a one take film as I recall Mark. However I recall very long scenes of him shooting people. I was bored witless. I've actually been doing my best to forget it and this review has brought it all back. 😆 I bought it in Poundland so I didn't lose a fortune. I gave it away to another AVF member.

Bri

Yes it certainly wasn't a one take film as I recall Mark. However I recall very long scenes of him shooting people. I was bored witless. I've actually been doing my best to forget it and this review has brought it all back. 😆 I bought it in Poundland so I didn't lose a fortune. I gave it away to another AVF member.

Bri
Oops. Sorry Bri........see, now I just feel bad..........

:D

Coz is dead……..long love the Coz! ;)

Thanks man.
Coz > Mark Costello. it feels like that moment after Jeff East arrives in the fortress of solitude and emerges all supercharged as Christopher Reeve! After the serious amount you've contributed to these threads, an official AVF critic. And not before time! Big congrats matey.

Coz > Mark Costello. it feels like that moment after Jeff East arrives in the fortress of solitude and emerges all supercharged as Christopher Reeve! After the serious amount you've contributed to these threads, an official AVF critic. And not before time! Big congrats matey.
Thanks man - funny you mention Jeff East. I have his nose. In real life. Not the screen worn prosthetic mind……just a massive hooter……o_O

Not sure if I'll bother with this, just watched the Rurouni Kenshin series of films on Netflix, some great 1 on many fights in that but I can see the gimmick of the one shot filming ruining it for me.

Edit: misspelled Kenshin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom