1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy picture ratio

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by doncorleone, Jan 23, 2004.

1. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its one of my favourite films, but strangley ive only ever seen it once. Deciding to upgrade my nasty R2 copy of Donnie Brasco to a nice R1 version i thought i would do a quick comparison. However what i hadnt realised before was that the ratio on the R2 is said to be 2:35 however its more like 3:10, it seems to have double the black lines and is tiny even on a 28" widescreen tv! How could this be? The R1 is the proper 2:35 format? Do any other dvds do this?

One other question, what does it mean when its dolby 5.0 as a pose to 5.1 (I understand that the .1 is the amp)On my amp it shows that LFE isnt present, do does that mean that it just doesnt have very good sub sounds?

Cheers

Don

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doncorleone,

My R2 of Brasco seems fine? Certainly nothing like 3:10????? Are you sure your DVD player is configured correctly.

The '.1' does not mean Amp it is for the subwoofer. Dobly 5.0 refers to the fact that the LFE channel is not being used.

Hope this helps??

Stace :D

3. Will K

Will K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The R2 is 2.35:1 non-anamorphic, whereas the R1 SE is 2.35:1 anamorphic.

4. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh sorry yeah i meant sub not amp :blush:

So as my speakers are small does that mean that it will try and send bass to them anyway as without LFE?

Thanks guys, for your help.