Crazy Birds

Razor

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
The birds round my home are singing their little hearts out at all hours of the night. Its seems like they never sleep.

10pm - birds singing
11pm - birds singing
12pm - birds singing
1am - birds singing
2am - birds singing
3am - birds singing
4am - birds singing
5am - loads of birds singing

The little buggers never shut up. It has never been like this until this year. Usually you cant hear them from about 9pm until 5am in the morning. Now they are up all night singing. Anyone know why? :confused:

Same here.....I think it might be that they are nesting.

Over Winter, I hosed down all the nests built around the house (I think there were 6). Last weekend I noticed the swallows starting to rebuild and thought I'll get the hose out tomorrow. Didn't realise they could build so quickly. :eek:

The next morning the nests were done and I didn't have the heart to make the homeless after all their efforts. :rolleyes:
On Saturday just passed, below 2 of the nests were little blue eggs so the chicks must have hatched already. Looks like they'll be here with me right through the summer.

We have moved into a country building which has been converted into offices. The swallows have been flying in through the windows this last week - we reckon they've flown x thousand miles back from Africa to where they nested last year to find some miserable gits have moved into their lovely barns over winter - poor things.

Swallows
"They are particularly fond of open pasture with access to water and quiet farm buildings."

Oops, sorry.

The birds round my home are singing their little hearts out at all hours of the night. Its seems like they never sleep.

10pm - birds singing
11pm - birds singing
12pm - birds singing
1am - birds singing
2am - birds singing
3am - birds singing
4am - birds singing

The little buggers never shut up. It has never been like this until this year. Usually you cant hear them from about 9pm until 5am in the morning. Now they are up all night singing. Anyone know why? :confused:

ROFL, similar issue, we had some starlings nesting in what appears to be a small area between the guttering and the eaves of the roof, they never shut up, fortunately it's on the rear end of the house not next to our bedroom.

I think it's just nesting and bringing up the kids basically.

I like the sound of birds singing, find it soothing and relaxing. Only thing that tops it is when it's raining outside and your trying to sleep :thumbsup:

It's actually illegal to destroy an active swallow's nest.

I removed an old one earlier this year. It was almost directly above the back door and they used to make a right mess on the patio below.

There's a gang of hedge sparrows in a nearby tree and they're always singing and fighting with each other. :D

It's usually the Blackbirds that are the first to start in the morning and the last to finish in the evening. There's a demented one near me that starts about 4am, but I'd rather hear the Blackbird than the crap music from the noisy :censored:s over the back from me :D

10pm - birds singing
11pm - birds singing
12pm - birds singing
1am - birds singing
2am - birds singing
3am - birds singing
4am - birds singing

It's the 24 hour licencing laws that I blame, otherwise they would not get drunk and start singing.

Sounds like a typical night on the town at Newcastle :smashin:

I had an unintentional introduction to noisy birds this morning after being awoken at 5am by the sound of my nextdoor neighbour's cat screaming loudly as it was either attacked or in the process of attacking a bird. After a good few minutes of hearing that awful sound, I was unable to retire back to my bed as the dawn chorus commenced.

At 5:30am today I was awoken by the most unearthly sound which I can only describe as "honking" followed by a screech. It was so loud it woke my son who is usually as deaf as a post when asleep. The offending bird was first sat on the fence outside the house which then repaired to the roof with its mate.

It was a pair of peacocks.......!! :eek:

2487054042_07429e1bd4_o.png

Same here.....I think it might be that they are nesting.

Over Winter, I hosed down all the nests built around the house (I think there were 6). Last weekend I noticed the swallows starting to rebuild and thought I'll get the hose out tomorrow. Didn't realise they could build so quickly. :eek:

The next morning the nests were done and I didn't have the heart to make the homeless after all their efforts. :rolleyes:
On Saturday just passed, below 2 of the nests were little blue eggs so the chicks must have hatched already. Looks like they'll be here with me right through the summer.

Beware:

Swallows and their nests are fully protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, which makes it illegal to intentionally kill, injure or take any migratory bird. It is illegal to intentionally damage or destroy the nest, eggs, or young of a swallow while it is being built or in use. The Act allows fines or prison sentences for every bird, egg or nest destroyed.

http://swallowremoval.net/

OOPs, jsut read the above post..

It's actually illegal to destroy an active swallow's nest.

I removed an old one earlier this year. It was almost directly above the back door and they used to make a right mess on the patio below.

There's a gang of hedge sparrows in a nearby tree and they're always singing and fighting with each other.

Birds of today ,eh? Obviously bored with the dawn chorus and now going for the all night rave.
This has been going on for a good few years - as i work nights sometimes noticed it when im on my break - sometimes go outside if its warm enough, gets well loud.

Beware:

Swallows and their nests are fully protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, which makes it illegal to intentionally kill, injure or take any migratory bird. It is illegal to intentionally damage or destroy the nest, eggs, or young of a swallow while it is being built or in use. The Act allows fines or prison sentences for every bird, egg or nest destroyed.

http://swallowremoval.net/

OOPs, jsut read the above post..

:eek: :eek: I didn't know that.

I don't actually mind them, though they do leave a mess below the nests.

Is it illegal to take down an uninhabitated nest :rolleyes: That's what I did after they migrated last year. I'd better read the Country Code. :confused: :D

Edit: Guess I'm ok as they weren't "in use".

I think uninhabited is fine, but you did mention you spotted them building again and would need to take out your hosepipe, which would be illegal.

Wow, you are all heartless bastards. I love birds singing, lovely to wake up to and lovely to go to sleep to. If you don't want them, give them to me! I'll gladly accommodate them :smashin:

I think uninhabited is fine, but you did mention you spotted them building again and would need to take out your hosepipe, which would be illegal.

I admit I was tempted, but now I know they are protected, they be safe here until they leave later this year. :smashin:

Anyone know anyways of stopping them build in the first place. Someone told me that hanging old cd / dvd's from the peaks works, but since there are quite a few peaks on my roof, I don't fancy them hanging all around the house. I already have a decorative thing which comes down from the fascia / soffit that is supposed to be a deterent, but obviously doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Wow, you are all heartless bastards. I love birds singing, lovely to wake up to and lovely to go to sleep to. If you don't want them, give them to me! I'll gladly accommodate them :smashin:

I enjoy sitting in the garden watching them swoop in and out of the nest, and the singing in the mornings doesn't bother me as I'm a very heavy sleeper (they drive my wife crazy though as she wakes every morning at about 5am because of it), but with 5 or 6 nests and about 4 birds per nest, that's a lot of crap to clean up....especially when they use my car as target practise. ;)

Just watched my cat neary catch a bird in next doors garden. All the birds went crazy and started screaching. Never heard anything like it.

Cheers for the replies everyone. Some made me laugh.

At least I am not alone with having crazy birds singing at all hours. :smashin:

I think some birds will continue singing if it's in a very well lit area at night, wheras they are normally quiet in the dark.

I think some birds will continue singing if it's in a very well lit area at night, wheras they are normally quiet in the dark.

That makes sense but its really dark where I live (no real light source). It starts getting light outside at about 5am and the birds get allot louder then (all of them wake up).

I did think the birds could be foreign and were used to a different time zone. :D

:D Probably shift workers ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom