1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by seany, Aug 18, 2005.

1. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Watched it last night, one of the best films i've seen in a long time. Really well written film and beautifully acted. People actually gasped in the cinema at a certain point (me included) i can't recall that happening in a long time.

Go see it :smashin:

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Going to see this at the weekend with my mate so thanks for the heads up :smashin:

3. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I know the bit you mean about the gasping...

Didn't know anything about the film before going, but my wife said we should go - I should really listen to her more.

Excellent film, it's one of those where you wonder where the last 2 hours went.

Cheers

4. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I agree , an excellent film . So refreshing . I said to my g/f thats the best film i have seen since Million Dolar Baby , little did I know the Director of Crash wrote that

5. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Fabulous film. The gasp moment had me and my mates close to tears.

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    An excellent movie. My girlfriend dragged me to it. I hate going to movies I know nothing about. :mad: Really really enjoyed it. I'd echo everyone's comments on the "gasp" bit. It was very shocking, very moving and surprising!

A superb movie and very different from the run of the mill stuff that normally populates our cinemas.

The bad news is she gets to pick the movie next time too as it was so good. God knows what I'll end up seeing!:rolleyes:

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
  8. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
  10. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I like this too. It's quite a heavy subject matter, although there are darker comedic moments that still make you feel quite unsure whether or not you should laugh. It's a clever jigsaw of a film that only really all fits into place in the final scenes. Reminded me a little of '21Grams' style cinema. Worth seeing if you're in the mood for something different to get your teeth into.

11. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    i thought it was a good film when i watched it,but the days afterwards when i found myself thinking about it and analysing it.ive now decided its bloody great movie.

12. frank-g

frank-g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't believe I am the only one saying this but, I thought the film was rubbish.

I found most of the characters quite predictable. Racist cop who, when it comes to it, helps anyone out what ever race or creed. The non racist cops who, when it comes to it, is really. The immigrant who is the biggest racist of the lot. The DA's office who want a token black. And finally the stuck up bitch who, when injured, calls friends for help and realises she has none. I just thought that there were too many clichés.

I saw the film in Washington DC with my partner (she thought it was a good film) when it first came out in July. We had a black couple sitting behind us and for a moment, when Sandra Bullock was doing her little speech, I thought they were going to walk out. Oh, the Americans gasped as well.

If this film is meant to be a reflection of racism in America today then, for me, there needs be a better film to reflect the problems than this one. The next evening we went to a party and the reaction to the film was evenly split between those liking/disliking. That's why I am surprised I am the only one, so far, who has said they didn't like this film.

13. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Couldn't agree more Damage. I think it was a superb film, one that keeps you thinking about it afterwards. Me and the missus were talking about it all the way home from the cinema (an hour's drive that seemed like 5 minutes!!)

No offence Frank-g but, by the comments you have written against the film, you may have missed the point of it. For example, there is a reason why the racist cop is acting this way.... actually, I don't want to say why as it would ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet.

My enthusiasm for new films has dwindled over the past few years as I expect them to die on their backsides. However, when a film like this comes along it certainly restores my faith that there are still good films out there to be made.

I hope that some writers and directors in the film industry take a look at this masterpiece and realise (and get embarrassed about) the trash they have been pouring out into cinema of late.

14. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Wouldn't quite go as far as calling it rubbish but admit to feeling a little dissapointed.

Probably as a result of having such high hopes.

7/10

15. frank-g

frank-g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zapp. Your right I didn't get the point of the film. No offence was taken, and I do recall the reason.

domtheone. Your right too. Thinking today and no the film wasn't rubbish, just dissapointing. The actors were good and they played their characters very well. I just felt that I had seen them before.

16. TheDot

TheDot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I found that although the film was a over-hyped it was still very good.

Do you not feel that the film intended to make the viewer think "ah here we go the same old cliche characters....racist cop, rich bitch......" but then show that underneath these stereotypes things are not as 'black and white' as they seem.

eg. (HIGHLIGHT FOR POTENTIAL SPOILER)
    Easiest example is racist cop- yes the guy was racist but there was a certain amount of reasoning behind it (still doesnt make it right tho).

His father had worked hard to help black people specifically and now kno one would help him? His father held no grudge as he knew it was his choice to help these people but his son hated to see his father living like this.

Ultimatley his son held a grudge against black people- but still when a black person needed help (car crash) he did not hesitate to do so?

17. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393

I had seen a couple of trailers, read a little about the film, how the various stories in the film come together etc etc.

The other day, I recently watched a movie (Traffic) again where we have the situation with a number of storylines/plots etc etc.

I guess I was maybe a little dissapointed as i'd hoped that Crash would be as good....... :rolleyes:

18. frank-g

frank-g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TheDot. You have hit the point. That is what I thought and hoped but, for me, the underneath these stereotypes didn't work.

Hey, at least it got us thinking, even if we didn't like the film.

19. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    I really enjoyed the film even though it was a tad predictable...you take a character with a certain trait and then put him/her in a situation which is the exact opposite or that will mean that they have to react in the opposite way or the outcome will be the opposite, link them all together and there's the movie...but it worked so well! The whole movie was a black and white metaphor, there was no grey or middle ground for anyone or any situation...this is not a criticism at all as it was executed perfectly, the acting was almost flawless and will hopefully revive some careers, Matt Dillon's especially!

One of the strongest performances I thought was that of the Latino locksmith played by Michael Pena who you can also catch in The Shield at the moment...he deserves to make it big if he can turn in work of that quality...

I can't recommend this film enough...very, very good!

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I saw this movie last night and really enjoyed it. I thought it was refreshing and different. I liked the way each of their lives crossed over others. Very clever and very well shot.
    9/10 :)

BTW How many famous faces were there. I lost count at 16. Such a star filled cast. :eek:

21. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just ordered it from cdwow
    [​IMG]

22. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Saw the movie last night and its one of the best films I have seen in the last couple of years. I had my wife and a friend with me and they both are of the same opinion. I am getting this one for my DVD collection for sure.

23. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah just checking that this is the one with brendan fraser and sandra bullock :D

24. SteveRSF

SteveRSF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just watched this tonight ..............FANTASTIC..... :thumbsup:

was waiting for the gasp bit.. after reading about it on here and wow we did too!...top movie :smashin:

25. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This arrived today. Can't sleep so gonna watch it now!

:)

26. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,379
    Watched this earlier today, its certainly packs some emotion!, and the ironry is to much. Its a great human drama. Isnt life a waste when people hate each other, its pretty short as it is, and everyday its in the balance. Just got to do the right thing.

On the back of dvd box, its states 'Presented in widescreen to recreate the theatrical viewing experience', Formatted from the original 1.85:1 version in which the film was shot, to 16:9 widescreen.'

Is that not bad?, is there any vertical or horizontal cropping going on here then?, anyway, PQ was not one of its strengths.

Great soundtrack was.