1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash happy Sky Box(es)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by markdevlin, Oct 7, 2004.

1. markdevlin

markdevlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had sky move a sky+ installation from a house I was renting while working away from home to my home wher it has been added to the existing sky digital setup.

However the sky+ box seems to be intermittently crashing. It's not locking up it seems to suddenly power off and reset taking a good minute or two before it will come back on.

I know I was careful when I transported the box - in its original packaging - so I tend not to think that it has been damaged in transit.

I have had intermittent problems with the sky digital setup aswell prior to moving the sky+ box over a couple of years. I had my sky digital box replaced and looked at a number of times. Each one seems to have suffered related symptoms - crashing, shutdowns, rests, restarts, lock ups. So I'm really thinking (about time!) that the problems weren't caused by the boxes but rather by the setup and whatever caused the original problems is now affecting the sky+ box which has physically replaced the previous sky digital box. I've added a surge protector - although the power to the TV, Video doesn't seem affected.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? And what possible solutions may be? Or just good ways/products of safeguarding the connections to the box (rf, satellite, power, scart, phone)? I'm guessing that some kind of surge or something in one of them is causing the problem.

Cheers,
    Mark

2. OxfordDon

OxfordDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I don't know why this happens, but in my experience it is certainly an issue with Sky+ boxes. Mine can go for ages with no problems, then suddenly will lock up, or turn itself off, requiring disconnecting from the mains to reset completely.

3. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't understand why anyone would run a Sky system without using surge protection on the mains.

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    But 99% do. Including me. No problems.

If you have a notoriously bad mains supply then use one. If not, they're a waste of yer cash in my opinion.

A. Dork

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This can be caused by a loose wire at the back of the wall socket. Or a loose wire or loose fuse in the plug.

Sometimes it's a bad solder connection to the power input socket in the Digibox.