1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crappy Sky Installations

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by marvinwright1, Mar 8, 2004.

1. marvinwright1

marvinwright1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

I've just had Sky+ installed and unfortunately my Dish had to sit on the back of the house but my box in the front room.
    So to connect the dish to the box the guy took the wire down drilled through the dining room, a great big black wire straight along the wall, drilled another hole into the living room. What a mess. He couldn't take it around the house as its a semi detached house. For the dining room I'm going to try and run the wire behind the skirting to solve this eye sore.
    Sorry I am getting to the point now :), Why do Sky still do these crappy installation's and just have the wire going through a drilled hole in the wall ? Why can't they install a plate on the wall like a TV aerial socket ? Do these exist ? Where can I get one ?
    Any Lastly I told the installer that I'd be moving my TV, I showed him where so he could make the wire long enough, after he had tacked it down, guess what its too short, ARSE ! Hopefully if these wall sockets are available its not a problem but if not then I'm screwed.
    Sorry for the long post :), any advice and thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

Marvin.

2. morphy

morphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right mate!

firstly 99% of this is down to sky, admittaly you do get dodgy installers as in any game but i used to work for sky and they give you say 5-6 installs + 2-3 service calls a day, they then expect you to make etas to your customers that youve got to stick to, how can you seriously make definitive etas when you dont know what youre gonna find at each job

one install could take you half hour another 2 and a half hours and in my case quality was very important to me.

ok so some days you would get lots of easy jobs but this was rare e.g
    service calls are allowed approx half hour, i went to 1 where no sat signal. checked lnb ok, checked cable ok, stb was faulty, no problem i thought ive got 5 in the van for my other service calls i'll do a swap out, first 1 picture freeze, second 1 modem faulty, third 1 faulty card reader, fourth 1 no sat signal, 5th 1 stuck in stand by so tried 1 brand new box to reassure myself it wasnt any thing i done and surprise surprise it all worked ok.
    :mad:

now a half hour service call turned into a 1 hour 45min nightmare if sky had a decent quality control on their refurb units this obviously was avoidable:nono:

With sky its all about money, i now work for myself i book in most jobs with the customer direct at a time that usually suits them and make sure i give them what they want re: dish location, cable runs etc .....

ok the customer wont get my services for a £1 install but most of my customers would rather pay me say £50-60 for a pukka install than pay Sky £1 for a dish 6 foot off the floor a hole with brick blow out black cable all around a living room to the tv..

The bottom line in my case is you pay for what you get:smashin:

ps marvin you can get f connector plates from big diy stores just make sure its a screened 1 and you use ct100 or h109f for tthe cable part :hiya:

1 more thing why couldnt the installer put the cable over the roof if your tv location was at the front of the house:mad:

3. marvinwright1

marvinwright1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

Thats for you comments mate, much appreciated.
    I'll have a look at those connector plates.

Funny you should mention going over the roof, I had an digi-box installed in my bedroom which is also at the front, he went over the roof for that so I dont understand why he didn't as you say go over the roof for the sky+ box. Fool ! :mad:

Thanks again.

Marvin.

4. smartie

smartie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had similar grief with my Sky+ install over Christmas. Was expecting the minidish to go on my roof with the cable entering the lounge at the front, only for the installer to tell me I would need a "special heights" team for a roof install and this would cost an extra £60. Quite what is "special" about a bog standard semi detached house roof I don't know....

Anyway the dish duly went on the back wall of the house and cable fed through from the back of the lounge. I told the installer not to bother tacking it to the wall and that I would sort it out myself.

Ended up lifting the carpet and cutting out a small channel in the underlay around the wall to hide the cable. Much better than taking it to the skirting !

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY installers are not insured to work above a certain height or work on roofs, a bit bizarre considering their job but there you go.
    SKY employ specially trained and insured teams to do the non-standard installations.

6. morphy

morphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

wrong sky use subcontractor who then subbys the work out again to people like me, i used to subby for a firm and they wanted you to do a sit install for£33.00 , werent bothered wether or not you had insurance or not as long as jobs got done needless to say firm went under owing me £4k :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

as i said before with sky its all about money:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Strange, while I know they subcontract work they do directly employee their own installers, one lives a couple of hundred yards from me and subcontracters do not get SKY vans.
    As for the insurance I got that straight from the SKY installer who explained to me back in 2001 he couldn't install my SKY+ on the existing dish and why they had to make an arrangment for a special heights team.

You may have been come out of the deal with a SKY subcontracter losing hard earned revenue but that doesn't preclude SKY having their own directly employeed staff.

8. morphy

morphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    starburst i wasnt saying that they dont have direct sky sit teams its just for cost they now subby more and more especially when most subbys on their own will do chimney work for a lot less than 2men sky sit teams.

as for standard sky installers not going on roofs thats bull as well mate, i used to work for them and when doing the training they try to teach you how to get on the roof he,he.
    most sky installers dont want to get on a roof so the easiest thing for them to say is "you need special heights mate"

ps not having a pop mate just giving u my opinion, no offence

pps why couldn the installer thrown the cable over the roof anyway:hiya:

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

No worries:)
    When he refused to install the Quad on my existing SKY installed dish I cancelled the whole order and got a refund. Four days later went to Currys bought a SKY+ and paid an independent installer £35 to install the LNB and new cable. Absolute bargin:)

10. cunnas

cunnas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I'll throw in my two pennies worth. I recently moved in to an end terrace flat (ground floor) and wanted to have SKY+ installed. I rang up, got it all booked in for a fortnight later which I was told was good.

Anyway, the time came, a SKY van pulled up and a guy with a SKY cap came in. Basically, he said the dish would have to go on the front of the flat and as my TV is at the back he would have to run a cable around the side of my flat to the back. No problems I thought. However, to run the cable around the side he would have to stick his ladders in 3 properties rear yards which are stuck on the side of my terrace. He said he couldn't do that witout written permission. To be honest I thought fair enough and booked in a new install date for 2 weeks later. I got the permission from the 3 house owners and waited for another couple of weeks.

The time came again and this time an engineer that did not have any SKY branding on his person....or van turned up with a box and dish in his arms.

I explained the situation and showed him the written permission which he did not seem to give a **** about! He went in my bac yard and did a few signal tests and said he could just stick the dish on my 6 foot high wall in my back yard. I agreed as it seemed like a good idea. Anyway, 30mins later it was all done, I was up and running. He did an acceptable job with the drilling and cabling but not great. I just wonder why the 'official' SKY bloke didn't do the same?

2 weeks later and it's still running great.