Crap dvd recorders

chemical man

Standard Member
Reaction score
What a crap day,
In October last year,my friend and i bought a panasonic DVD recorder 250gb
from richer sounds in Nottingham,when getting it home we found it was faulty. No problem, we rang them up and an exchange was ordered they did not have another in stock. Any way to shorten the story the replacement panasonic DVD recorder tuner has now died, so back to the shop and spoke to a real nice guy Bob, sorry i will replace it, but i only have an LG 500GB which you can have for the same money, fair enough, took it home set it up and guess what? that ones faulty. When its connected to the panasonic telly,
i keep getting signal break up on the television picture with message no signal. To see if this was a problem with only the television, I plugged the aerial direct into the television bypassing the DVD recorder without a problem.
So whats going on with richer sounds is it just bad luck? or are they graded Grey imports?

What a crap day,
In October last year,my friend and i bought a panasonic DVD recorder 250gb
from richer sounds in Nottingham,when getting it home we found it was faulty. No problem, we rang them up and an exchange was ordered they did not have another in stock. Any way to shorten the story the replacement panasonic DVD recorder tuner has now died, so back to the shop and spoke to a real nice guy Bob, sorry i will replace it, but i only have an LG 500GB which you can have for the same money, fair enough, took it home set it up and guess what? that ones faulty. When its connected to the panasonic telly,
i keep getting signal break up on the television picture with message no signal. To see if this was a problem with only the television, I plugged the aerial direct into the television bypassing the DVD recorder without a problem.
So whats going on with richer sounds is it just bad luck? or are they graded Grey imports?
Probably none of those things.

What was the model of Panasonic DVR that had what you think was a tuner failure?

Is the current recorder connected to the TV via an HDMI lead?

Hi Gavtech,

Yes It was connected by HDMI, when we rang richer sounds he said bring it in, the Panasonic that was, it needs the tuner updating i will connect it to the laptop and update the software.

I said you will be lucky there is no connection for a computer to download software, the problem with the panny was that the guide plus was there on the screen but no programs, and the on screen no signal. I failed to say the television is a panasonic connected by viera link.

Last edited:
Hi Gavtech,

Yes It was connected by HDMI, when we rang richer sounds he said bring it in, the Panasonic that was, it needs the tuner updating i will connect it to the laptop and update the software.

I said you will be lucky there is no connection for a computer to download software, the problem with the panny was that the guide plus was there on the screen but no programs, and the on screen no signal. I failed to say the television is a panasonic connected by viera link.

There is a good chance here that the HDMI lead is the cause of your problem.

These leads can infamously leak RF and interfere with the incoming RF in the aerial lead and knock out some or all of your channels.

The test for this is to remove the HDMI lead, connect temporarily via scart and try a rescan for channels. If you can get the channels under these conditions you need a new HDMI lead.

There is a very good chance there has been nothing wrong with any of your machines.

Hi again Gavtech,

I did try that and still no signal, the HDMI cable is a QED £100.00 one
and it worked on mine, so thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom