1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crane audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JSW, Aug 16, 2002.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Has anyone took the plunge and got these speakers yet ????

2. Shrubina

Shrubina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a set about a week ago - and I think they're great! They sound really good and look fantastic 'in the flesh'. If you're thinking about getting a set, I'd recommend it. I reckon they're a right bargain!:D

3. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still awaiting a review from one of the more expert people i.e. is Uncle Eric back from holiday yet?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I PM'ed Eric with a query about which speakers I should take a look at and I mentioned the Crane Audio, because I was and still am interested. He said that although he hadn't heard them himself a friend in the US (who's opinion he trusts) had a set for review and didn't reckon them that much.

Eric did ask me to pass this on to others interested in the Crane speakers.

Eric has very expensive, audiophile tastes although I must say I am interested in the Velodyne 523 sat package he recommended even though they are about 25per cent over my maximum budget.

5. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am considering the Velodyne sats but they just look a bit plain.

I think I will have to just get the KEF eggs until I can afford something better next year.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll volley your post with...

I too am considering the Kef Eggs (and the B&W VM1s) but to me they look a bit... urm... cheap and small. I had thought of using three pairs of Kef Q1's instead, I know someone has suggested this before, although a Q1 plonked on top of the telly as a centre would look a bit strange.

The Crane set up does not have the option of buying single speakers to go 6.1 (although I'm sure as an independent manufacturer this wouldn't be hard to arrange with them) and beyond and the floorstanders and centre go against this 'forum rule' of using same type speakers for tonal balance.
    Although I have the sneaking suspicion that whatever surround set up I buy will blow me away, when compared to sound straight from the TV.

7. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have thought about the Q1's but I think it will be too much of a squeeze in my room. Which I why I have fallen back to the Eggs.

I don't think they look small or cheap though, but it depends on what you are comparing them against. I think the VM1's are bigger but are more expensive and take me out of my budget.

But to echo your last statement, anything you get at the moment will be about a million times better than TV speakers! So maybe the Eggs now and something better next year when the bank balance looks a bit healthier?

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    five VM1s will set you back £650 if you leave the sub for the time being whereas I read you can now get the eggs and sub for £630ish so I suppose there is a bit of a difference. I am planning on getting the five speakers first and then going for a sub later tho.

9. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done the opposite, I got in on the Velodyne CHT10 Group Buy and now need the speakers.

Have you heard the VM1's? Are they any better than the Eggs? I believe you can get the Eggs for £160 a pair so I can get 6 for £480!

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,611
    Crane Audio have not sent any speakers over to the US for review or any other purposes - their speakers are designed and intended for the UK market only.
    It's likely that Uncle Eric's friend is listening to a different brand of speakers entirely.
    And in any case it would be foolish to dismiss a brand on the opinion of one person.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whose dismissing? my original post said I am still thinking about getting them. Certainly didn't mean to slate Crane but many of us are waiting for opinions on these speakers as you can't audition them without first ordering them.

He may not be infalable (although he may well be) but I don't think Eric would get his speaker brands mixed up.

Personally I need to decide whether having matching speakers is that important to me if it is then i will look at the B&Ws and the velodynes, or maybe even JmLabs Sib and Cub combo.

if not (and if I can find the room) I will take a closer look at the Crane Oceanas.

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, they were the Crane's. Don't ask me where or how he got hold of them.
    Of course nobody should dismiss anything purely on a single persons opinion. I'll have a listen to these myself soon and post my views.

Talking of opinions, David Baxter MD of Anthony Gallo kindly sent me up a full system including their MPS subwoofer which arrived for evaluation today.
    I'm just in the process of setting the system up (very cute by the way) and will post my thoughts sometime in the next day or two. Anyone with eggs on their mind should hold their horses for a few days just in case.

13. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At between £300 and £350 for a pair are they really a competitor to the Eggs (£200 a pair)? I suppose it all depends on budget.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £530 for three of the decent coloured ones.

out of my league I'm afraid

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I guess you're both right. However, I must tell you, first impressions are very promising. I first had a brief listen to these in Harrods just before my holiday. Not really the ideal environment. There is a lot more listening to do.

Regards
    Eric

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What a namedropper - He probably heard them in Richer Sounds really :)

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,
    Not at all, only the lower classes like myself walk through Harrods. Harvey Nic's is the place to be these days. Sadly, the doorman has been told to keep me out at all costs :D

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic Rhodes loves the Gallos, the lack of crossover sent him all giddy.:D

If you could get your hands on the Cranes, an opinion would be appreciated Eric