• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Crane Audio Oceana 5, 9.1 Surround system

daredevill

Established Member
Well its been a while since anyone last commented on the crane audio systems so has anyone else tried these speakers and is the 9.1 package a good investment for the future soundtracks of the HD-DVD & Blu-ray film releases.

Has anyone got a 9.1 setup and is it worth it ? the reason I ask is Im mid build of a dedicated cinema in the house and the speaker wiring into the walls is next on the list....

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
i have 11 speakers a sub in my room...heh

however, 2 are a stereo pair hooked up to a stereo amp....lol

the other 9 dont all get used at the same time either.....

when listening to movies i use the following: pair of MA Silver S6 fronts, single MA SLCR Centre, pair of MA SFX sides in dipolar mode, pair of MA SFX rears in bipolar mode.

when listening to multichannel music i use the following: pair of MA Silver S6 fronts, single MA SLCR Centre, pair of MA Silver S2 rears

the dipolar SFX and the Silver S2's are on a A/B switchable output on the amp, when listening to a DD or DTS source the SFX are used, when using the EXT input on the amp it automatically reassigns the channel to the Silver S2's speaker output......very handy as i prefer monopoles for DVD-A/SACD....but di/bipolars for movies....

of course when the HD sound formats are out with more channels available, i may just occasionaly have to shuffle the speakers around a little for those movies....heh...(altho my amp only has an 8 channel input so most i can currently do is 7.1, for 9.1 i'd need to upgrade to something with a 10 channel input)

daredevill

Established Member
If the crane audio speakers arnt that good can anyone reccomend the jamo d6ptx 7.1 setup this also is around the £1500 mark which I am at the moment setting for speakers, but hey we all know how easy it is to change or minds when we see something better !

But I still am intreasted in the 9.1 setup from crane if anyone has any news on them...

phils_wicked

Established Member
There have been lots of discussions regarding Crane Audio in the past. I was looking into them myself at one stage, but never auditioned them, so I cant comment as to the sound quality etc.

If you do a search and restict it to the speaker forum, there should be plenty of info for you.

:smashin:

Cos Im so nice (due to being massively hung over and rather tender this morning.....)

the search begins!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4568256

The results go back to 2002, so there should be something useful for you in there.

Phil

daredevill

Established Member
Thanks Phil, I had done that search last night just before I started this new thread as the last post on them was in 2005, Im guessing that I should just wire my room for 9.1 anyway just in case and then try them on the 30 day money back offer, that way if they suck I can go for the jamo's or something else in a 7.1 setup untill 9.1 sound is released on the new format discs.

As for the hangover I was there last weekend with a night on the cider ! never again.......... untill next weekend when Im out again.

avanzato

Established Member
daredevill said:
If the crane audio speakers arnt that good can anyone reccomend the jamo d6ptx 7.1 setup this also is around the £1500 mark which I am at the moment setting for speakers,
There's a few posts on the Jamos around here and I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about them. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom