1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craft Fairs etc.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Jeremy_a, May 18, 2005.

1. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife thinks I could sell prints of my photos (Framed and un-framed) at craft fairs etc. And I could also give out business cards to people interested in me doing some photography for them. Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing. I'd really like to start making some money from my hobby.

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    hmmm...there's been a series of features in one of the glossy photo mags (practical photography maybe?) about making money from your camera and there was a bit about people with stalls selling work at craft fairs and markets. I might still have it at home or you might be able to find reference to it on t'internet.

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    good idea, you could also consider along with the business cards setting up an online shop like you can at photobox.net and sell images through there as well

4. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    quick question Mr Jones.

Photobox.....I know you can setup online albums that people can order from. But does that not just make photobox money not you ? I can't see anything about their being a way of making money.

5. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    you set up an album (pro album) you can then set the price you want to sell the image for, so out of that photobox take some commision, plus the printing costs and you get the rest, then postage and packing is added ontop of that.

the only thing being that like paypal you can only take your earnings out once it reaches £50 on a particular day of the month, so if it doesnt reach that point it rolls over to the next month, until you have £50 in the account when you can remove it, you can however use your earnings to buy print credit from photobox. alternatively set up a site yourself and do it all yourself, and effectively make more money but with more hastle!

6. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    cheers for the reply. I'll take another look. didnt spot a 'pro album' setting

7. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  8. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    yup. gotya. reading about them now

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Last christmas, manchester had a german market in the centre of town in two places. A girl and her sister had two stalls. They sold black and white prints of new york and manchester ect that one of the sisters took. Very good i have to say and because i'm in to i myself i took great interest in it. The market was there for a few weeks up to Dec 22.

I was at the market a good few times and they were the quiet for most of the time. They were asking about £50 for a framed b&w.

What photgography has to do with germany i dont know:laugh:

I was thinking about getting in to event photogrpahy, contacting places that run Go kart days, paintballing ect

Another thing is, i know quite a lot of estate agents because of my work, i was thinking contact them to see if the'd let me take the photos. They're normally so bad.

Then there is the amount of new apartments in town. The apartment belowe is one of the best and most sort after apartments in the city. Few man u players live there ect

I've moved people into most of the pads in town, and they often have prints ect of the apartments they live in

I just messesd about with this one ps. I had a few printed and i actually gave one to a couple that moved into that block and they were very happy with it. I know it's a bit basic but they loved it and it was free:laugh:

Attached Files:

10. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    It sounds good on photobox, but there are so many albums already on there !

I suppose its a case of needing to do a lot of self-publicity for your own gallery. Its a nice touch to be able to hand over the printing/postage/ecommerce onto someone else.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They're are guys now going round the bars with point and shoots in town charging £2 for a photo mailed which is sent via email

There's actually a site aswell, i have a card somewhere that want's photogrpahers to do that but on a bigger scale.. Only thing is you just get free entry in to the club and drinks ect you dont get paid:eek: But it's ok if you're in to your nights out

12. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    facesinplaces.co.uk i think it is...

dreadful photography though!

i think photobox would be a good idea if you photograph an event such as a wedding or a school reunion etc, you've got a captive audience then, just give them a business card with a weblink and direct it to the album, SORTED :clap:

i was thinking about it for the wedding photos ive done, but dont think there would be enough call for it tbh

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's not that one jami, i'll find the card. Photos are just as bad though

I think people need something they can relate to, i'm not sure how random shots of things would work at craft fairs ect, as i said the photogrpahy stall was one of the quieter stalls on the market. I think stag do's ect would work. My mate sells concert tickets ona pretty big scale, he recons people going to concerts would happily pay for photographs

I had a daft idea but i doubt it would work. Group of lads girls ect, they hire limos ect. Why not hire a guy to look like they're being followed by the paparazzi :laugh: They'd get loads of attention in bars because of it

I was also thinking of payinga stripper gram for the night, but to just flash with the lads/girls and move on to the next set:laugh:

14. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,510
    If you are looking for an online shop, peak online imaging has quite an interesting solution as well, together with a great development lab...You can secure individual areas of your shop if you do special assignments so they are not visible to the rest of the world...Or you can open up other parts with your own unique pictures for general sales and printed/posted on-demand on canvas if they like...

Don't know how the pricing scheme works and what discounts you get, but that is individual anyway...Remember that it costs a lot of money and effort if you want to setup your own individual workflow....

Regarding craft fairs....hmm opinions differ but I do tend to find them quite sad, long days, travel and out of date and peanuts money...I'd be more worried that you wife may not want you around ;-)

I know the comments about craft fairs are highly opinionated, but I wouldn't spend money on a hobbyist who bought a prosumer camera...But then again if the product is great I might...That's what counts....

Oh and don't forget the TAX implications when you start selling...