Cracks within a property

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JoeF2k2, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got the keys today to the place im suppose to be moving into, when we went to view it there was signs of damp in a corner of the living room and upstairs directly above. The agent said the landlord will rectifiy all this etc, so fair enough let them do it we thought.

Today we went in, and straight away noticed a big crack going up the wall that was not there when we viewed, we also noticed bits of plaster tape the cross hatched stuff that is clearly on show? i thought ur suppose to plaster over this stuff? well anyway it ran all the way up the wall and along the ceiling.

Also we went into the living room and on the wall again is another crack, near enough opposite the other one which is on the other side, there is also a crack running along the cieling which looks connected to the one going up the wall?

Does anyone know whether this may be affteced by the damp and infact could cause problems in the future? Could i in anyway get out of the 6 month contract? Im really put off by these cracks and the damp issue which it previously had

2. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    what kind of house is it? is the crack around the window area?

3. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Its an old building, It use to be a Post Office but has since been converted. Not sure how old it is but ide imagine very old. The crack is not around the window area, its center of one wall then same on other side in other room and it runs along the ceiling a little.

4. pandemic

pandemic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Sounds like movements in the walls, it's quite common in both old and new home. Seen it before myself in the past I've found even fixing the cracks don't provide a permenent solution the cracks open up in just a few months in my experience.
    Is it more than a 1 meter long? and what is the width of the cracks < 5mm is usually considered safe.

5. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    will have to check tomorrow re measurements, I dont think they are more than 5mm across could be wrong, its just worrying that they were not there when we viewed the property. And the one on the ceiling is even more worrying

6. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    if the cracks open more than that, it could be subcidence. were in a 100 year old house and have cracks.

7. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    is it a case of moving in and seing how they develop? take it, it would be difficult to get out of the agreement now with it being signed and stuff although i have no copy yet, just keys

8. RichardK

RichardK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you're sure that the cracks have appeared that quickly then you need to get it checked out as it's definitely not a good sign. If the conversion has been done recently then it probably hasn't been done to the correct standard.

You should contact the housing department of your local council and ask them to come and check if the house is actually habitable.

The acts of law relating to renting property require the landlord to keep the structure of the property in good repair, and it sounds like this isn't being done, so you may be able to get out of the contract for that reason, but you'd need to take legal advice on that.

9. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    would the council charge me if i asked them to come and look at the property?

10. RichardK

RichardK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I don't think so, but they'll be able to confirm that if you give them a call.

11. kopchoir

kopchoir
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,455
    is it a stand alone house gable end?? these cracks are normal forget the cracks for a min the most important thing is the damp who is living in the house just you+partner+kids if i was you i would address the dampness first before the cracks if its a lot of damp it poses a health hazard i should imagine

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Most people's reaction to damp and cracks is to run a mile. As the owner of a 200+ year old house you get to realise that an older house has a "rhythm of life" very much like people do and if you want to enjoy the space and character that an older property provides it sometimes comes with the territory.

However you always have the alternative of a pristine new house with wall to wall marigold vistas. :)

That said, 5mm cracks are pretty big. 1mm cracks are commonplace.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  13. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Are the cracks in the plaster/render coating or are they actually running through to the substrate material? Cracked brickwork can be very sinister.

The reason I ask is if it was damp, it could be the landlords have done repairs or forced dried the area prior to giving you the keys and simply cracked the the plaster. In the corner of a room on both floors, it would be advisable to check the external guttering, its a prime cause of dampness. Damp is not difficult to remedy, but it is costly to repair the effects, and as another poster already said, you don't want kids around if this is the case.

I had a leaking gutter for some time, and when I fixed it all the plaster fell off the wall in the bedroom a few weeks later, as once the moisture dried out of the brick work the old horse hair plaster just turned to dust.

I have not owned a rental property under the new rules, I thought the local council had to inspect the property annually to give the landlord a certificate now? I could be wrong, the YouGov website is a bit cryptic on this subject. Try asking at the Citizens advice bureau if you are really concerned.

14. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Its just me and my partner that will be living here, no kids or anything.

surprisingly the house is still listed as to rent, ive just found the link

Northwood Lettings List - More Details

its quite old as you can see

you can see the damp in bottom right photo, if u look over in the corner

15. blackrod

blackrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Is a bit of a crack really a big problem for you though? You are renting on a 6 month tenemant, does it actually matter that much? I only ask because I have rented far far worse! :rotfl:

16. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565

Have you actually told the owner? If not then this might be news to them, and if I were them I'd sure as hell want to know :)

17. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Ok, the crack can be a few things.
    I suggest you take pictures and also pictures of the outside of the house wall too. This si not a simple job and may involve some "strapping". Have you been round the house and checked the other walls on the same side of the house including landings.

Pleasse take a few pics and post

18. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    you should just leave it to the landlord its his problem your only renting. dont go doing his job for him.;)

19. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    **** there goes ayub again not reading the full post.
    Yes be cool its his job, sorry i thougth you had bought the house :rolleyes::oops:

20. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry about the pics, not very well taken. Tonight round there noticed few more on the ceiling and pushed the ceiling and it felt like i could easily put a hole in it. The ceiling dont look safe but may be me worrying.

Also i just tapped the wall where the crack was on the pic where the fire thing is and i heard rubble falling down inside the wall?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Looking at the pics of the outside of the house,on the lower out side wall is there a render from the path up the out side wall if there is it has breached the damp cause as its coming up the render from the path as there should a break either from the path up 6" or path wall out 4" ,they say if you cannot put or fist in the crack don't worry, to do a check glue glass across the cracks if the glass cracks you have a problem this should be done for about 3 months.

22. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Closer look at the pics they look like plaster board joint cracks,check widths if about 4ft theres agood chance.

23. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is there any simpler way to describe this lol? i know what you mean but get abit lost near the end? basically they have tried to fix the damp? but you say it could be still coming up from the path?

The outside as you see it, when u walk through the door is a reception type room, but the room im taking pictures of with cracks etc is opposite this

24. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    possibly, i tap the wall and it dont feel brick, some places it does though :s may just be my judgement, but when i tap the walls either plaster is falling down inside or stone/rubble

25. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    What they might have done which is a trick is line the brick work with 2"roof lath then screw the plaster board to the lath which then the damp can not breach that if they line the walls with a vapour barrier first, which is why you might be hearing rubble noise. Is the damp on the same wall as the car is parked next to.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  26. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No its not on that wall,

---------- Living Room Wall -----------
    -------- Reception Room Wall ---------

If you look at the second to last picture, this is the reception room wall, now imagine all the other pics are the other side of this wall with the damp being on this side

------------ Front Wall ---------------

27. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    So if I'm looking at the front door which window closest on the left or the next 1 sorry for being thick

28. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    the furthest window is the one where the room has the damp issues or did have. So the second window not the first

29. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    There seems to be a down pipe on the wall by that window it might be worth checking for blockage, if you can tomorrow can you take pics of the outside of that wall including the path were it joins the wall,what I think is happening,is since the council have dropped the curb stones for the disabled the water coming down the road can go up onto the path and down that wall were before it all went down the road,this is even if there is no render,as the height of when they fitted the original curb stones could have breached the original slate damp course.

30. JoeF2k2

JoeF2k2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i think ive gone and misinformed you lol, you see where the car is? well the window furthest near the bottom is the room in question, not the one which i think you may be on about where the downpipe is etc