• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Crackling speaker issue on JBL charge3

jimskau

Novice Member
I recently bought a JBL Charge3 bluetooth speaker. Unfortunately it has a fault in one speaker that has deteriorated in a very short time. The right speaker crackles loudly in the base region, I reckon about 260Hz and downwards.
I didn't want to ship the unit to UK for warranty repair and JBL doesn't offer internal spare parts ..... I wonder which spare parts they do offer?

Unfortunate for JBL the problem seems to be quite common.

I found this solution on youtube but so far I haven't been able to cure the issue. Warranty is obviously void after opening the unit and re soldering the terminal.

My Question: is whether this issue could be caused by a mechanical misalignment of the flexible copper wire that connects driver to the soldering terminal? (see the video link)
I have had the terminals soldered twice and the crackling sound appears to be changing in intensity from each attemt to fix it. Ohm meter shows same resistance on both termnals/driver wires so there should be a decent contact.
I see that there's a guy on e-bay who offers to fix it (not replace it) so there must be a fairly reliable solution.
Should I simply try resoldering again and again to see if the alignment will improve?

Awaiting with anticipation,

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom