1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackling sound from Marantz amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nyquil Driver, Mar 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well....

I don't want to bore everyone with my tale of woe (as my previous Marantz amp had a different, but equally irritating fault). But my current problem is this:-

Every time I try to watch a film with 5.1 sound (on Marantz SR4300), I'm constantly distracted by a crackly noise emmiting from the left-rear speaker. The speaker is still outputting the usual surround sound, it's just that it's always accompanied by a faint static-like noise.

I tried changing the coaxial lead from the DVD player, and tried a different player altogether, but it didn't make any difference. I even tried swapping the rear speakers around, but the crackle is still present (and still left-rear, despite the swap). So I can only assume that the amp itself is to blame...

Any ideas what may be up with it? (some sort of magical quick-fix that hadn't occured to me would be ideal!). I've had it for about a year, but the problem has only been noticeable for the last month or so.

2. trevor g

trevor g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no mencion of speaker connections left side?

3. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speaker wire? No, I haven't checked that actually because all the connections are hidden away (and fitted under carpets etc), and I don't have any spare wire handy either... I never really considered that as a potential cause, because I've always used those connections and nothing's been touched.

Now you mention it though, I think I probably should try a new wire for the left-rear- you never know. I'd subconsciously ruled that out though because (and I should have maybe stated this above) the crackle was briefly evident in the left-front. That only lasted a couple of days and then went away on its own. It was a few days after that when the louder crackling started coming from the rear one.

So, because the problem had moved from one to the other, I assumed it was some sort of decoding malfunction... I'll get some wire and give it a shot though, cheers...

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Swap the connections over on the amp,if the crackling swaps speakers its the amp, if not then it could be the cable.

5. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob1- I've just tried exactly that. I swapped the cables over at the back of the amp- which meant that the right-rear speaker was now connected to the left-rear socket. And... the crackle was then evident in that speaker!.

So, after eliminating every other possibility, the amp is obviously outputting the erroneous sound itself. It's a shame, because I'd got my hopes up whilst switching the cables over that the wire may indeed be at fault.

I have nothing left to try now though...