1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackling on switch-on, 32PW9631 (GFL2.3 chassis)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Chris Muriel, May 14, 2005.

1. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    About 3 months ago our 7 year old Philips TV started crackling and farting for a few seconds when taken out of standby ; afterwards, when it settled down, everything was perfectly normal - until the next switch on/ switch off cycle.
    The fault has now progressed to the stage where it takes more than a minute to settle down (with blue screen , a quick flash of normal TV and then more blue screen until the selected channel finally appears in stable fashion) .
    I have found by experimentation that if I select one of the AV inputs (there are 3 SCARTs) like satellite or cable STB then the TV is fine ; this is why I am assuming it is a tuner (or tuner power supply) fault.
    I guess I'll have to take the back off and have a look around.
    Before I do this , has anyone come across a similar fault on this chassis (GFL2.30E I believe) ?
    I thought at first it might be just a connector making poor contact but, with the ever lengthening settling time, perhaps it's more likely to be a faulty electrolytic capacitor.
    I have no circuit diagram or service manual either which doesn't help :-(

I have the usual digital and analogue multimeters, oscilloscope etc. but it would help if I knew what to look for !

Any practical advice would be greatly appreciated

Chris Muriel Manchester.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    If it is okay on AV input but blanks to the blue mute screen on tuner I am fairly confident the tuner is faulty.
    Philips tuners have a high failure rate and are very expensive to replace, as you have all that equipment I assume you are confident using a soldering iron so I suggest you remove the tuner and send it to MCES for a quick turnaround repair which will cost around a quarter the price of a new tuner.

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Thanks. If it turns out to be a faulty tuner, the handy thing is that MCES are only a couple of miles from me.
    I'll check power supplies etc. to it first though.

No problem with soldering etc. (I am actually an applications engineer for a USA IC manufacturer).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.