Crackling noise: receiver problem

n1md4

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Samsung AVR720 paired with Monitor Audio R352s. The crackle is more like frequent and intermittent spikes, and is only present when audio is playing on the right channel. There is also no distortion when there's no sound playing.

I took the unit apart and there is no visual damage to any components. The only observation is a fairly loud hum from the mains transformer, although this might be normal behaviour.

Any assistance identifying the problem, and if it's repairable would be appreciated.

Regards,
n1md4

Try some simple elimination first. Swap the L & R channel inputs from the source. If the crackle stays where it is, it's a problem with your receiver. If the crackle moves to the other side then your source needs investigating.

Do all the usual stuff like checking and cleaning connections too of course. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the reply. I should have said, I've already determined its definitely the right channel, as I've already tested speakers and cables. I've not cleaned contacts as such, but did poke speaker cables on the contacts while the case was open, still the same.

Are parts usually serviceable on 'modern' receivers, or could it be time for a new unit? My friend said it could be capacitors, they look fine, but does he have a point ?

I don't have any electronics knowledge. Just wanted to try to point you in the right direction to identify the offending equipment. Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom