1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackling / clicking Pioneer! Surely it goes louder!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MJeeves, Nov 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    How LOUD will the Pioneer AX5Ai go? I know it has 120 watts per channel and my speakers are all 100 watts per channel - but when I listened to a film last night (GODSEND) it was clipping and making loud "clicking/crackling" noises!

It must be able to go louder than this right? I have it set up via I-Link and multi-channel with all speakers set to LARGE.

Any ideas what is happening? WILL I damage my speakers?

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Do you have your speaker levels set to any higher than +1 or +2? You could be over driving them if the spekaer levels are set too high.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    louder than what? all you say is "louder than this"

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    What speakers are they? What is their sensitivity and impedence? Are they actually LARGE speakers and do you have a sub connected? All these questions are vital. As 'mjn' mentions, louder than what? Most amps deliver peak power way before the display hits the max level and yes you could fry your speakers:lesson:

5. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those clicking/crackling noises is the sound of your speakers dying :hiya:

turn that volume down - your neighbours might appreciate it too!

:D

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    My speakers are PROAC Response 2's. They are 8 ohm and 88 sensitivity (I think). I'm using a PIONEER 868 DVD Player connected to a PIONEER AX5Ai receiver via I-Link. The PIONEER AX5Ai is set to -15 on the main volume and any louder causes the cracks and clicks. The set-up is 5 speaker - 2 'LARGE' main speakers (left and right), 1 'LARGE' centre speaker, 2 'SMALL' rear speakers (with I assume the low bass filtered off the main speakers). I also have an old subwoofer (REL Stadium) which is used in conjunction with the MAIN speakers as it doesn't have an LFE input.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The speakers seem to have survived but it scared the living daylights out of me!!!!! :)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Loud intrusive noises are usually speakers complaining - rather than an overloaded amplifier. Overloaded amplifiers tend to degrade the sound much more subtly than this.

Or.......it could just be loose cable connections being shaken by the vibrations.

8. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AX5-ai hits max volume at +12db. I can hit that easily when listening to a CD, but if I'm watchnig a dvd (on my Pioneer 757ai), any higher than approx -10db and my B&W603's are on their limits during any bass heavy scenes (explosions etc).
    I'm not familiar with your speakers but would suggest your problem probably lies there (or like LV426 suggest, a loose connection).

9. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    What are the specs of your B&W 603's?

10. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, it's been so long since I bought them I can't remember. They are the S1's. I'll try & dig out the paperwork when I get home.

11. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  12. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    My AX5i goes to full whack @ +12 (Not often!!!) - but with no distortion or crackling/clipping,via my Mission 735's (150watts into 8 ohms/Can't remember the sensitivity,but in the 90's from memory).In fact,the volume,once calibrated,on my amp,seems to "underdrive" the speakers,in relation to the volume knobs position,compared to previous amps i've owned.Normally I would have never have taken a amp's volume up beyond half way.

-10 sounds like there is definately something wrong with the speakers - were they overdriven in a previous life?

Has the AX5Ai been calibrated using the mic?

13. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Watched "Femme Fatale" last night and the sound was great. It reached a fair volume level and when I checked the amp it said -16. Any louder was uncomfortable. The amp was set-up with the mic and I have now turned my surround speakers back to FULL so the mains are no longer handling their bass and the surrounds bass. The sound is better and no clicking/crackling. Maybe I was just sending too much to the mains by having the surrounds in SMALL mode? What do you think?

14. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were you referring to me when you mentioned -10db? If so, my speakers only beg for mercy at that volume with the bass at +6 and during heavy explosions (I don't currently have a sub). During normal dialogue etc they go a lot higher, but -10 is normally loud enough. With normal music (as opposed to movies), the 603's happily play along with no distortion at +12.
    With my previous amps I could never get far past halfway volume. I just assumed that thew AX5 had less power.

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Cannot believe anyone should need to run the amp at that volume.. is everyone's room the size of wembley ?

Surely it cannot be healthy to run the amp at max for prolonged periods ?

16. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never listened to it at max for more than 20 secs or so (I only did so to see how loud it could go). I'm sure I'd have the neighbours knocking my door down if I did!
    The point I was making was that when listening to my CD player the sound is not all that loud (compared to a Dolby digital source). when I had the same CD player connected to my old Yamaha amp I couldn't turn it up past half-way, therefore coming to the conclusion that the Pioneer is not as powerfull.

17. John Barrow

John Barrow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the AX10i-S, rather than the AX5i, but I think that the issue may be the same. The Manual clearly tells me to set my speakers to small, but I initially ignored this as my fronts what I would consider large (I have Tannoy Revolution R3's that are bi-amped) and so set them that way (wanting to get the most out of the speaker) and found that the sound was quite boomy so I eventually (probably reluctantly) tried them at small and the difference was very pleasing with nice tight sounds across the soundstage and leave the sub-woofer (Rel Strata 5) to handle the bass stuff. My reasoning behind that is to let the main 5 speakers do what they do best (i.e. crisp trebles and detailed mid-range) and let the sub-woofer handle all the bangs.

18. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236

Mike - No,I was on about MJReeves's speakers - on reading his first post,he stated that anything beyond -15db caused his system to throw a "wobbly" in the sound department - but,on reflection,what the systems volume level is on the display must be looked on as subjective,as,it depends on what the individual channel levels are set at, as to what the overall volume level is,and therefore,depending on these "sub settings",you may get a different sound level from one amp to another,at the apparent same volume knob position.

I calibrated my amp using the mic via the MCACC system,and my room is 14ft x 22 ft -

It was apparent to me pretty much from the start of ownership,that my AX5i,allowed me to crank the volume knob right round,without any hint of distortion or clipping - although it is not a regular habit,as someone might have previously thought, (i did state this in a previous post),it seems to be a quirk of this amp,whereby,I can only assume,that the calibration system underdrives the amp by setting the individual channel levels on the lower side,thus meaning my volume knob can be cranked round alot more than you would reasonably expect.

Having re-read this,I hope it makes sense,because I think I've even confused myself. :)

19. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Mike - This is the exact same thing I noticed with my AX5i in comparison with my previous amp - I couldn't even consider giving my previous setup,the same volume knob welly as my AX5i - I could give the Pioneer full clout,and although loud,and slightly uncomfortable,it wasn't distorting or clipping.

It is certainly a noticeable trait of my amp,compared to what I would have considered the "norm".

20. 1 GND

1 GND

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My reply is to add to John Barrow`s thread... I too have AX10ais and did same with my speakers as initially set to large and the sound although great was at times flabby.

Since getting my SVS sub, changed to all small and Xover 80 HZ (a la THX) and at last sounds awsome!

I think these amps have so many settings etc you can mould the sound almost any way you want but does mean a lot of reading manual etc..

21. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moviebuff

I was very suprised too, that at full volume there was no hint of distortion.

22. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    So is the AX5i worth getting?

what is better??

23. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I'm more than happy with mine,so I would certainly recommend it.

24. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thanks... AX5Ai is better! (upgrade to the AX5i ..with firewire for audio)

25. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236

Agreed - although you would probably get some cracking deals on the AX5i - which would sway me back towards that.The AX5ai is a spruced up AX5i,with a few more bells & whistles.

26. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just paid £949 for an AX5-ai.
    You can't argue with a deal like that!

27. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Just imagine what you'd pay for one of the last of the AX5i's - I paid £850 for one at Phase 3 in Southampton back in Aug - you certainly can't argue with that!! :thumbsup:

28. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i bought mine a couple of weeks ago he had 1 AX5-i left and was selling it for £750!!

29. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236

For that kind of money,someone's going to get alot of amp for their hard earned ...

30. ozdick

ozdick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AX5i is still retailing for AU$2999 (£1230) here in Australia - yeah we sure do pay a bit more than you guys
    The AX5ai is scheduled for release in March, so the AX5i is being discounted to make way for the new stock
    Picked mine up for AU$1900 (£780) - so a decent bargain.
    But as I've pointed out in another post - I seem to be having volume problems
    Comfortable listening is around 0db with sound kicking in around -30db (anything below that is inaudible). While others here report background listening at -50db ???? And -20db as loud.
    At -20db my speakers are still a whisper - so midnight mode and loudness mode are virtually useless as I can't here it at that level enough to notice the difference.
    I don't have a problem pusing mine to +12db and would be quite happy to listen to it at that level for a loud movie (we don't have neighbours :thumbsup: )
    Not sure if this is a problem with my setup or with the amp?

I tried a full factory reset.
    That set the volume to --- (ie off)
    When I do the MCACC, the volume level goes up to 0db - does it do this for everyone else as well?
    Just seems to me that it's calibrating the system to be set around 0db which is what I would call comfortable listening??

Sorry for the double posting (this plus another thread) - but this is driving me nuts :suicide: :zonked: