1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackle

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by johna, Jan 29, 2001.

1. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi.
    I have a sony strb940 and b&w 601,03, and cc6 speakers, the problem is there is a faint crackle when I'm watching certain channels on cable digital - this then 'moves' depending on the speaker (If i switch to surrond the crackle moves to the center)
    Heelp!!!

I don't think I've blown them.

2. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sony 940 connected via phonos up to my Telewest Active Digital cable decoder (Pace I think).

I am not having the problem you describe but I have been experiencing picture freezes and blackouts from time to time. Someone mentioned this may be because my signal is too strong as I am very near the installation box. The signal already has 2 "attenuators??" taking 12dB off it. (This is probably better addressed in the TV forum).

For your problem, I would suggest a) checking connections & b) ensure your wires aren't tangled and try to keep the signal leads clear of any power cables.

Gid

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks

At the moment my box (which is the same as yours) is connect to my TV via scart then from tv to amp (phono). I might hook up the box directly to the amp hopefully that will solve it.

I was experiencing your picture freezes etc for a while but its all calmed down now.

Thanks

John

4. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention that my box is also connected to TV via scart but audio is taken to amp via phonos.

The picture freezing does seem to have gotten slightly better as more people are moving in and having cable installed.

I live in a brand new estate and I was the first person in my phase to have Telewest Active installed.

They brought 3 men to do the job and spent an hour looking for the wiring cabinet outside...but they made a good job of the install - nice and tidy, gave me some extra scarts and plenty of cable to move my box around. Also, one of the chaps gave me a good demo - normally I like to read the manual and work it all out for myself (lets face it, TV has to be quite intuitive for some of the idiots out there) but he was obviously trained in a certain type of presentation so I let him get on with it.

Reminds me of a holiday I went on in Mexico when the rep was doing his welcome meeting and I asked a question and he was so thrown by this that he asked me to leave questions to the end, as his parrot fashion learned speech was not adaptable.
    Later in the holiday, I had cause to complain and took great pride in asking him to leave his questions until the end when he tried to interrupt me. Hah!

G