cracking open an external HDD case ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tim68, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    hi all

looking at getting an external hdd to use in a NAS or a possible new media player with a drive bay as they seem much cheaper than a equivalent internal HDD.

any pros and cons ?,

the biggest I can think of, if the drive develops a fault, would I be screwed in regards to a return.

thanks very much

2. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
  3. MooCow

MooCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    There are a couple of gotchas with doing it:
    1. The drive could have a non standard connector inside it. Some do away with the SATA and have a weird direct USB attachment thing on them instead. Google/Youtube the model is best way to find out.
    2. Warranty would be void, though you may be able to remove the drive without breaking the case in came in originally which means you could pop it back in and send it back - depends again model to model some have warranty seals, some have clips that are nigh on impossible to open without breaking. The drives inside usually are flagged as being from an enclosure product so their serial numbers will not work on an RMA claim...unless you put it back in the case of course ;)

Oh and thanks for the link ;) Now contemplating adding another disk to my home server - seems a great price for 8TB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,035
    I've taken apart Seagate cases (out of warranty) and shoved them in my media system. The drives run pretty warm for some reason, though they are getting on now.

They have the standard sata power and sata connectors, but I certainly destroyed the cases trying to get them out.. they are a nightmare.

£179.99 for 8TB is an great price considering internal drives of the same size are upwards of £200

tris

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,371
  6. MIghtyG

MIghtyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,003
    reading that stuff on amazon it looks like a seagate archive drive which will be pretty slow. I have always stuck with WD reds for my NAS and, *touches wood* they haven't let me down yet.

7. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Moocow's first point is key here.
    Most newer external drives dont have standard sata connections.
    Most likely because the manufacturer doesnt want to undercut its own internal hard drive business.

i have a hard drive rescue kit, but relies on standard connections , the last 20 or so external drives given to me for rescue had a single USB connection soldered to the drive, no rescue possible and no hope of connection to a standard PC sata connection.

8. gagaga

gagaga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    In my experience that is WD 2.5inch drives only. Seagate 2.5s and 3.5s are pullable. I've pulled drives from WD my books too (old design, not bought any of ther newer ones yet).

That seagte drives listed - I've got one of those and taken the drive out without issue. Re the shingled drives - if you're using it as a C: drive it's not ideal as lots of the small writes an OS does can bog it down (reads not affected). If you're using it as a media store or for just general file usage, you're very unlikely to notice any slow down unless you're writing/updating lots of small files. When i'm copying movies to these drives they will chug along at full speed all day long.