Cracking noise on Sony LS60

D

Dolphin Soldier

Hello,

Just got this TV set up yesterday.
And during the evening of testing movies and consoles, the TV made what I can only describe as a cracking noise and the picture flickered. This happened on 3 seperate occasions.

I was thinking it may be a power surge from the socket, but don't know for sure.
Now I'm paranoid the thing will give up on me.
Any thoughts.
Thanks.

Get it exchanged. I've had an LS60 for a few months now and it's never made that noise or flickered. You don't want to risk going past the 28 days you have for a refund/exchange and then the TV gives up on you 'cause it's a duff. I used to have a Philips that made frightening cracking noises - so loud I literally jumped out of my skin!

My Panasonic TV used to do that but after the 'cracking' noise, the screen would go a lovely shade of pink or completely green. I'd get the set changed before it packs up totally.

Definitely an exchange job - what you hear - and sometimes feel, is high tension current arcing at the tube end - not to be encouraged.

Incidentally I remember one old TV engineer who used to turn sets which did it on their side - and hit the side of the tube hard with a wooden mallet!

And the strange thing is that (assuming he didn't break something else), it often worked.

He used to mutter about dry soldering and carbon build up.

I don't recommend it to anyone to try it though and he may be in a home for the bewildered by now...

Sh*t! Is this a problem with tht TV? I've noticed that it does this on BBC1 only, it crackles and then you get the nicam sign on the screen every so often, I thought it was my aerial :(

That sounds like picture interference rather than the sharp crack of HT current we were talking about, which sounds and feels like a small bolt of lightning at the back of the set.

The fact that the NICAM flash appears, means that the TV is retuning itself after losing signal.

It may still be a fault however...

Originally posted by chung54
Sh*t! Is this a problem with tht TV? I've noticed that it does this on BBC1 only, it crackles and then you get the nicam sign on the screen every so often, I thought it was my aerial :(
Yes, it's your analogue reception. Relax.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom