Question Cracking Noise from New Samsung TV

2 short planks

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Firstly at 75 years old I am not very used to posting on forums so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I bought a new TV in January of this year from Hughes via Amazon, this model, Samsung MU 6400 40" Smart Ultra HD TV,to replace my 32" Samsung which I had for 6 or 7 years.
I set the new TV up according to instructions with the same HDMI cables etc that I used with the previous model.
When I first used the TV, I thought the sound was a bit muffled so I adjusted the sound settings which helped a bit.
A few weeks ago,I started hearing as startling,cracking sound,quite loud,coming from the TV and since then, it is now happening about 3 times a night which is the only time I watch television.
When this noise started happening, I wondered if it had anything to do with my adjustment of sound frequencies,I honestly think not, but I set sound settings back to default just in case.
Does any kind soul have any idea what may be the cause of this and would this warrant a request for replacement via Amazon,
Thanks in advance toanyone who takes the time to reply, 2SP.

You mention an HDMI cable but you don't say what you've connected to the TV and whether you're viewing that when the cracks happen or something internal to the TV (freeview tuner, apps etc.) - or both.

If you use the room at other times it might be worth leaving the TV on but muted for a few hours. That'll give some idea of whether the cracking is coming from the speakers or something else (case, power supply etc.)

Thank you Endless Waves for your very fast reply.
You've certainly given me food for thought and made me realise how little information I've actually given.
I actually have 2 HDMI cables,one going to my aged Humax PVR and the other going to a steam controller.
I also have a set of Grind bluetooth earphones plugged in to charge via USB port.
I cannot be certain whether the cracking occurs when watching TV only or when viewing something recorded via PVR.
I live in a flat which has communal aerial and from the aeriel wall socket I have separate terrestial and freesat cables to TV.
From your answer,I think the first thing I will do is disconnect the 2 HDMI cables and the earphones and use the TV alone until I can be certain that the problem is solely from the TV.
If and when I hear the cracking again, which sounds like a stick being broken,I will then go on to the option you suggest of turning sound off to try to find where the sound is actually coming from.
Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it,2SP.

If and when I hear the cracking again, which sounds like a stick being broken,I will then go on to the option you suggest of turning sound off to try to find where the sound is actually coming from.

So do they tend to come in bunches?

A steam controller is a USB device, do you mean a steam link?

Sorry,yes it is a steam link and thankfully no bunches of noise,only single "breaking sticks" at a time :)
My Grandchildren use this when they're over sometimes and I wasn't sure what it was called. I disconnected everything from TV and this evening so far I haven't heard the cracking noise again so I'll leave it this way until tomorrow and if no sign of further cracking sound,I'll reconnect the PVR and see if anything happens with that tomorrow night,
Thanks again.

EndlessWaves:
Reconnected Humax PVR via HDMI,Grind bluetooth earphones for charging via USB and thumbdrive with some movies on it last night and had TV on for about 8 hours and watched some recordings from thumb drive and PVR.
So Far,no recurrence of loud cracking noise but then it might be too early to say all OK as sometimes previously it could be a few days without hearing the noise then boom,almost like a build up of static or something.
Very puzzling but something is causing the noise.
I will leave the Steam link disconnected,looking forward to the wrath of peeved Grandchildren but "tuff" they can rerig it on a smaller screen.
So at the the moment I will just have to wait and see if the problem comes back.
Thanks for the response.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom