1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracking my PE30 open to kill the buzz

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sabujo, Oct 19, 2005.

1. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all let me get something straight: I'M NOT OBCESSED WITH NOISE but that buzzing has been driving me mad for 2 years now. It is bearable, I'll grant you that or else I would have had it replaced, but I as so pleased with picture quality that I was afraid that I might get another noisy set with a worse picture quality or even (god forbid) stuck or dead pixels.

Since then I have been dreaming of opening my pe30, locating the source of the buzz, (i'd bet a lunch its in the psu) and fixing it.

I've been practicing on some switching power supplies and often the culprit is a hi freq transformer that had some loops of its wiring loose (usualy near the pins where they are soldered). Dessoldering and dipping these on hard varnish a couple of times totally cleared the buzz on 1 psu and reduced most of the buzz on the other.

Any thoughts on why I shouldn't try that on my pe30?

I supose i could purchase a replacement psu and install it myself, but the price must be too high for me right now. Even though I am considering servicing my own pe30, i'm not obcessed about it, but i admit it would be great to have a silent tv set on my living room.

thanks in advance for your comments

2. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't advise totally desoldering and dipping it, for two reasons
    firstly I would be wary about the insulation properties of the varnish -remember it's a safety rated component.
    secondly totally covering it in varnish might reduce it's thermal dissapation properties making it run hotter, hence making it more likely to fail.
    If there is loose winding applying to that local spot would much more preferable, maybe even getting hold of some proper electrical conformal coating would be a good idea too.

I would also check the common mode input filter coil too, they very often start to buzz.
    If it is the common mode coil this it might be a good plan to simply replace it with a larger one.

3. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may be right. sometimes the plastic housing of the coils seem to get loose from the ferrite encasing thus generating some noise. I have not checked yet.

4. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW i forgot to ask: has anyone done or is thinking about doing the same as I am?

5. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I'd rather try and do root canal work on myself than hurt my beloved panny!