Cracked Windscreen

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Rasczak, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,728
    Hi all,

Just seeking some advice if I may. My windscreen (Peugeot 208) got hit by some loose chippings today and has cracked. The crack is in the centre of the screen and runs from the bottom up to around one-third of the height. Clearly not repairable so I need a replacement. What's the best way to get this done (i.e. quickest way)? Take it into a dealer or approach a company like Autoglass? Not looking to claim on insurance, just want a quick fix with an official window replacement.

Cheers

2. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Unless its changed claiming for a windscreen on insurance doesn't affect premiums, just pay the £50-100 excess.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,247
    Autoglass. They are registered with most insurance companies so if you try and do it through them they will most likely refer you to Autoglass anyway. Windsceen replacement is covered by most insurance companies without officially counting as a claim. Never done it through a dealer but I suspect it will take longer and cost more, unless it goes through your insurance too.

4. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    From my experience with Autoglass you may not get an early appointment to get the new windscreen fitted. If you aren't looking to claim through your insurance (not sure why you wouldn't) then I would look for a local independent windscreen replacement company.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,728
    Cheers guys. Despite driving 30,000+ miles per year (for at least the last ten years), I have never had a cracked windscreen before now! I'll look into the insurance thing but, in all honesty, I just need a quick fix with as minimal hassle as possible as I am working silly hours at the moment. Plus it's my wife's car and she will be driving mine until this is fixed!

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,247
    Last time we had an issue, which was 18 months ago, AutoGlass came to our house the next day and replaced it on our drive. Took a couple of hours. It would seem that's the high end of customer satisfaction and your mileage may vary...

They will also come to your workplace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  7. kryton85

kryton85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Agree with everyone else, really is worth claiming as won't affect your premium. Some screens are crazy money now, especially if they need fixings for auto lights, wipers etc. Most companies will come to your house or work & will have it done in an hour or so

8. Dave Brand

Dave Brand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    If you go to a dealer it's very likely that they will use a company like Autoglass, so you'll end up paying more for the same service.

9. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457

Recent experience has been waiting up to a week for an appointment!

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,362
    And if your car is out of it's warranty period, you won't get an OEM screen. Some people have succeeded, but it's very few.

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    For ease just use the the insurance dedicate phone number for windscreen replacements. By far the easiest way of dealing with it. And when it goes wrong your insurance company retains responsibility.

You've already paid for it, so you may as well use it. Well unless you have third party excluding windscreen cover.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Just be a little careful as in these days of people switching to save 50p insurers are looking for ways to cut costs.

Whilst I haven't seen any insurers that yet reduce your NCD for making a windscreen claim there are a couple at least which won't increase your NCD in a year you make a windscreen claim. Contrary to advice above, a windscreen claim is a claim (clue is in the name) even if its treated differently to most other types of claims.

Secondly, some insurers are asking about glass claims at new business (again not something that used to happen). Again, haven't seen any impact of this but don't work in Motor anymore so don't keep that close an eye on things but you may find that some insurers may decline to quote or such which may effectively increase the premium you need to pay even if not causing them to increase their price

13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,096
    Also bare in mind that if your car has any kind of brake assistance that uses a camera, then you may need to get this re-calibrated afterwards: I had a new screen put in my company car a C Class Mercedes and it needed re-calibrating afterwards.

I seem to have had my more than fair share of screens: Three on the last company car and one on the current one over a 5 year period. All done at home, but then you can't drive it for a few hours afterwards until the adhesive has set. Still, it gave me a good excuse to work from home...

14. ChrisGTL

ChrisGTL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Also be careful taking their word for this. Girlfriend has a Cooper S with all the bells on.

She had a new screen fitted and the installer told us it is a waste of time recalibrating.

We didn't have it done and it works as before.

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    I knew I would be jinxed if posting in here. Yup today my Golf R got a huge crack on the screen...sigh...

16. ChrisGTL

ChrisGTL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Mine went last week. Monday morning too! Eck!

17. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,362
    Could be worse. In Oct 2015 i had a new windscreen fitted. 6 weeks later a truck flicked up a huge stone as i was overtaking and a put a circular crack the size of a coke can in the drivers view point :mad:

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,096
    I don't need to take their word for it: Before it was re-calibrated the warning light (and even the emergency braking) was being triggered by cars in the left lane rather than in front as with the original windscreen, so in my case it did make a difference.

19. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,059
    Ouch

On our Mercedes GL they made a real hash of it. I had 7 visits over three months before they had a windscreen that actually fitted. I insisted that they had to get an official MB windscreen as none of the aftermarket ones fitted properly. The insurance company ended up giving us £300 compensation and the car glass company refunded double the installation fee. So our insurance was more than free. Still very annoying.

20. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +994
    I phoned Autoglass yesterday PM with a badly cracked privacy glass rear door passenger window and had a new genuine Lexus laminated privacy glass window fitted today at home. Total cost to me £75.00 excess. Excellent service.

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,728
    Got mine fixed with Autoglass in the end. As others have said, the service was superb - they turned up at my work and were done and dusted within a hour.