Cracked screen.... :(

SpuddybabyUK

Established Member
Reaction score
So I dropped my iPhone X the other day and have cracked the screen. Am gutted.

I can get a company to replace the screen for £180, but I can buy a screen off eBay for around £80-£90, so I was wondering, has anyone replaced the screen themselves and is it as easy as the YouTube videos show?

Are the screens on eBay the correct type of screen and worth the money?

Any tips please?

A tip from me, get it done properly by Apple who will fit a genuine screen, and do the work as if the phone has never been taken apart!

If you get a none genuine screen you may run into issues later down the line, and the colours/quality might be slightly off compared to genuine.

It’s really not worth trying to save money here, pay abit extra and get it done right with the right parts!

A tip from me, get it done properly by Apple who will fit a genuine screen, and do the work as if the phone has never been taken apart!

If you get a none genuine screen you may run into issues later down the line, and the colours/quality might be slightly off compared to genuine.

It’s really not worth trying to save money here, pay abit extra and get it done right with the right parts!

What (s)he said. Last month my nephew's elbow had an unexpected meeting with his wife's XR screen, which didn't survive. They took the phone to the nearest Apple store in Southampton and the screen was replaced while they waited. It cost £187 but as they said, the peace of mind from knowing a proper job's been done with genuine parts more than makes up for the cost and the time taken for the 30 mile each way journey.

Off topic but funny ........ they were too embarrassed to admit what had happened and said the phone had been dropped. It does beg the question, though, of whether a bony elbow test should be incorporated into the myriad tests each new iPhone screen is supposed to be subjected to :laugh:

Just be grateful it wasn’t the glass back. I smashed my x max back and it cannot be replaced like the front can. Luckily my home insurance paid £570 into my account to get a new replacement direct from Apple (weirdly it didn’t cost as much as a new one, even though it was. I think it’s because they retain the old one for parts or something). A year later and I’ve done it again on my XS Max. Just sent it to D&G insurance and they are replacing it with a new one as well. I wish Apple would stop making the backs glass. Or at least make them fixable as well as the front. Anyway, once the new one is back it’s going on the forums to sell, to pay for an 11 Max pro.

I’m thinking I might wait until November as am off to Orlando, so could book it into Apple At the florida Mall.
dollar price is the same as UK so with exchange rate will save a few quid and get an official apple replacement.

I’m thinking I might wait until November as am off to Orlando, so could book it into Apple At the florida Mall.
dollar price is the same as UK so with exchange rate will save a few quid and get an official apple replacement.
Sounds like a plan:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom