• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cracked Plasma - Is there any comeback? (Photos)

RobinT1

Standard Member
I've got an LG 50PS3000 plasma that has met an unfortunate meeting with the ground from the great height of 1 foot during unpacking. The set is brand new. Is there any way I can get it to work? Or should I strip it and put the parts on eBay? See photographs attached. Too clarify, the internal 'plasma' part is the bit that's broken - everythign else is OK.

Any advice appreciated.

I don't have any home contents insurance, and I don't want to take any out deliberatly to claim. I also don't want to try and pass the balme onto the delivery company.

Attachments

• 20100516_001.jpg
    20100516_001.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1,373
  • 20100516_002.jpg
    20100516_002.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 938
  • 20100516_003.jpg
    20100516_003.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 559

solidamber

Did you pay by credit card, some issuers offer an insurance on goods bought on their card, ie my Virgin card states.

Free insurance policy
of up to 100 days against accidental damage or theft of items bought via the credit card. However, the cost of the items must range between £50 and £1,000.

Pugs1

household insurance?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

RobinT1

Standard Member
@solidamber - Did pay on card but don't think this is an option, thanks for the suggestion though
@paulr2006 - thanks

I've read a few threads on here about broken plasma screens and the consensus seems to be that the cost of fixing is greater than replacement, thus it isn't worth doing?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
@solidamber - Did pay on card but don't think this is an option, thanks for the suggestion though
@paulr2006 - thanks

I've read a few threads on here about broken plasma screens and the consensus seems to be that the cost of fixing is greater than replacement, thus it isn't worth doing?

Fitting a new panel is more likely to cost more than the TV initially I'm afraid :(
have you tried the credit card company as many of them do include accidental damage with your purchase, might at least be worth a phone call :)

If no joy you might be able to remove each of the panel boards & sell them on ebay, you could try selling as is but usually the individual boards will fetch more.

badkarma

I've got an LG 50PS3000 plasma that has met an unfortunate meeting with the ground from the great height of 1 foot during unpacking. The set is brand new. Is there any way I can get it to work? Or should I strip it and put the parts on eBay? See photographs attached. Too clarify, the internal 'plasma' part is the bit that's broken - everythign else is OK.

Any advice appreciated.

I don't have any home contents insurance, and I don't want to take any out deliberatly to claim. I also don't want to try and pass the balme onto the delivery company.

Thats really bad luck mate, I don't really have anything to offer but you should be commended for your integrity and taking it on the chin and not trying to screw someone else.

It happens all to often these days :rolleyes:

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thats really bad luck mate, I don't really have anything to offer but you should be commended for your integrity and taking it on the chin and not trying to screw someone else.

It happens all to often these days :rolleyes:

Totally agree with those sentiments :)

Mrhappy37

Have you tried speaking to the supplier, or even the manufacturer? They may offer a solution, either a good discount on a new one or a deal with the manufacturer to repair at cost, or you never know maybe even repair free as a goodwill gesture. It has to be worth a call.

russm8

Feel for you :( Hope you get it sorted... I would get the credit card company to pay LOL as they did me for a later payment for a balance of £19.00.....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom