1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cracked disks again, sorry

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by number_15, Dec 18, 2002.

1. number_15

number_15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody
    I hope all is well. I've read a few posts about this but wondered if anyone could offer any more help? I've recently noticed that a few of my dvds have begun to crack around the centre hole. Obviously this is really annoying and I'm assuming it is due to the poorly designed cases that I've read about that hold the disks too tightly (double cases seem to be worse for me). I have always tried to be careful with my films and even a couple of disks that I've never watched or removed from the cases have this problem (too late to return, unfortunately). The pics below (cracks highlighted) are from star Wars AOTC and LOTR, two films that I want to watch many times in the future.
    Basically, should it be safe to continue playing these disks or are they likely to tear apart inside my player, upon spinning? And does anyone know of any cures or remedies for this, apart from buying new movies? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    Billy

Attached Files:

2. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I have noticed this on a few of my discs but, to be honest, i'm not sure if it is actually due to a cracked disc.

Kev

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one disk that has a small surface cut in the centre ring. It played fine and did not shatter. However, I wouldn't dream of risking anything that had an actual crack. Gotta remember the speeds that these babies spin at and the aerodynamics of it all!

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, noticed this happening to my R1 LOTR.

Bugger hey!!!

JD

5. number_15

number_15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Just to confirm that these do appear to be thin cuts/cracks in the clear plastic, inner part of the disks. They aren't actually "leaking" into the reflective surface of the disk. Should this mean that they are safe to play?

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say no. It's really irrelevant whether it goes onto the surface or not. If even just the ring is cracked, it will affect the spinning of the disk, so it would almost certainly cause the crack to increase in size, possibly spreading to the surface area and possibly causing the disk to shatter over time. Even if the crack never reached the surface area, once the centre ring starts to weaken it will cause spinning problems. If it falls apart or bits start to chip off, the disk won't be able to play anyway because it will be too loose a fit for the spindle. Apart from the fact that the disk will no longer be playable, imagine the broken bits of plastic flying around inside your DVD player - they could cause serious damage to the various components, especially the laser lens!

A little 'surface-like' cut (like a scratch) that does not go through to the other side of the ring/disk, is probably okay. But anything that is actually a crack (goes through to the other side so the disk/ring is actually broken in that place) would be risky IMO!

Groundy contacted one distributor (Avia) about cracks in the centre rings of his DVDs (if you do an appropriate search, you will find his thread). They replaced the DVDs for him free of charge. It is therefore worth a shot contacting the relevant film studios/distributors with regards to your cracked disk - you never know!

7. number_15

number_15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chears Squirrel, thanks for your help. I do agree with you, but was kind of hoping that someone could convince me not to part with more cash on dvds this Christmas!! Looks like I'll get the most affected ones replaced though.
    It is very difficult to tell if the damage goes completely from one side of the disk to the other but I don't really want to spend three hours watching a film whilst worrying if my dvd player is about to die! Having read that Avia post before, I might see if Mr Lucas/Fox and co. could sort something out. Thanks Again
    Billy