Crack appears in toilet

andrewt9763

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just after some opinions if a toilet under two years old and used normally should suddenly crack ?.
It’s appeared just under where the plastic seat front edge would touch it if the rubber feet were missing,in my opinion there is never much weight transfer through this as you sit on both side edges,the company that supplied it said it’s through use,there are only two adults here.
They have refused to even look at or accept pictures of the damage and said they would do a small discount off another new one.

Attachments

• F552ECB5-2743-4246-A018-5217E04287E8.jpeg
    F552ECB5-2743-4246-A018-5217E04287E8.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 399
  • C9FDCC40-E6AE-4B09-B619-98F754A00358.jpeg
    C9FDCC40-E6AE-4B09-B619-98F754A00358.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 400
Cheap loo seat? Rubber over compressing and the plastic applying too much pressure?

That’s the flush rim breaking away and is absolutely a failure in the casting I’d try contacting the manufacturer or importer.
If that breaks while you sitting on it it’ll cut you ribbons broken ceramic is razor sharp.

Is it just me who thought 'what is abnormal use'?

I would seek further ass-istance. Its more than likely a defect rather than 'wear and tear'.
Even if out of warranty it still shouldn't do that.
I'm sure @Wahreo is a plumber and may be able to offer some input.
Hope you can bottom it out.
Take no crap off them.

That wasn't the sort of "crack" I was expecting from the title!

However, now I'm here, to me it looks like a manufacturing defect.

I would tell them that you don’t want any money for the installation but you want a new WC Pan. It would cost them penny’s. Keep pushing*

move not seen anything like it before TBH, plenty of similar cracks on a cistern though but that is different.

*no pun intended

Answers from the supplier
Sorry to hear this has happened, unfortunately this is not something we would replace. We can sell you a new pan at a slight discount.
If it was a manufacturing fault it would have been evident from the beginning. As cracks don't just appear it would have been from use.
No, I do not require images of this as there is no point.
This is with any company if you have used it for over a year and then a fault has shown like this it wouldn't be a manufacturing issue.
In my opinion they are just avoiding the problem,
As to size I’m 6’ and around 15 stone and fit not fat wife is 5’2 and 81/2 stone so it’s not under any undue strain as I am sometimes when dropping the kids off at the pool.
I’ve got to be honest and say I agree with the defect in the casting even though they said it would show straight away.
The seat is decent thick plastic and as I said no one sits on the front part of the seat to put stress on that front edge.
It’s a crap toilet casting imo.

Answers from the supplier
Sorry to hear this has happened, unfortunately this is not something we would replace. We can sell you a new pan at a slight discount.
If it was a manufacturing fault it would have been evident from the beginning. As cracks don't just appear it would have been from use.
No, I do not require images of this as there is no point.
This is with any company if you have used it for over a year and then a fault has shown like this it wouldn't be a manufacturing issue.
In my opinion they are just avoiding the problem,
As to size I’m 6’ and around 15 stone and fit not fat wife is 5’2 and 81/2 stone so it’s not under any undue strain as I am sometimes when dropping the kids off at the pool.
I’ve got to be honest and say I agree with the defect in the casting even though they said it would show straight away.
The seat is decent thick plastic and as I said no one sits on the front part of the seat to put stress on that front edge.
It’s a crap toilet casting imo.

81/2 stone

Is that 81 or 82 stone :eek:

As you are having no luck with the monkey it may pay to speak direct with the manufacturer, who will be better qualified to tell you if this is or is not a manufacturing fault.

81/2 stone

Is that 81 or 82 stone :eek:

As you are having no luck with the monkey it may pay to speak direct with the manufacturer, who will be better qualified to tell you if this is or is not a manufacturing fault.
Ok it’s eight and a half stone at 81 stone I think the toilet would be rubble not just cracked.
I’ve never seen or heard of a toilet cracking due to wear especially after two years.

Never mind the manufacturer's limited warranty, there's fit-for-purpose and expected life.
There's toilet pans in use that are decades old. No way one should fail at around two years.
Even something like a TV, can be expected to last many more years than the guarantee period, and a contribution after wear-and-tear from the source to see the purchaser back in the position of having a fault-free item is quite a reasonable expectation.
(If its anticipated or suggested life is 10 years and it has failed at 2, an 80% reimbursement to replacement costs might be acceptable).
If the supplier thinks it should last less than ten years, I'd be wondering why.

Did you purchase the toilet from the plumber or directly from a retailer/manufacturer?

Whoever you purchased it from is the responsible party. If you aren't getting any joy from them, you will probably need to go down the small claims route. Unfortunately while you might be able to get the money to purchase a new toilet, you will probably need to pay for the removal of existing + installation of new one. And if it's a different shape that could cause problems with flooring, tiles, etc.

Did you purchase the toilet from the plumber or directly from a retailer/manufacturer?

Whoever you purchased it from is the responsible party. If you aren't getting any joy from them, you will probably need to go down the small claims route. Unfortunately while you might be able to get the money to purchase a new toilet, you will probably need to pay for the removal of existing + installation of new one. And if it's a different shape that could cause problems with flooring, tiles, etc.
Was purchased directly from the supplier on Amazon and fitted by the plumber/bathroom fitter,I’m gobsmacked their spokesperson has said it’s use/wear never ever seen a toilet crack let alone where this one has cracked.
To me they are just trying to dodge any claim of poor manufacturing and put the situation right.

Did somebody shit a brick????

Complain to amazon and not the seller on amazon
This will be the next step if they don’t sort it out,on the description it says it 15 year warranty,they do seem to want to avoid replacement though.

Have you completely ruled out accidental damage from the installer....Minute chip/s at either end of the crack, underneath or on top?

Have you completely ruled out accidental damage from the installer....Minute chip/s at either end of the crack, underneath or on top?
Yep there are no chips etc,it’s a hairline crack as pictures show,became evident to us around two months ago,where we got it from on Amazon seem to be trying to put it down to use and wear.
I’ve never heard such a load of utter rubbish ever the guy that fitted it looked at the picture and without me mentioning it at all said it was a manufacturing fault.
I looked at the order page earlier and it’s listed as having a 15 year warranty,I’ve pointed this out to the seller who haven’t got back to me yet.
There is absolutely no way there is much stress put through the seat onto the front top part of the porcelain where the crack has appeared,it’s also a slow close seat so that hasn’t done it either.
Im guessing when cast that area has been thin and it’s eventually started to split.

I know you got it from Amazon, but how did you pay?
Could you CC company not help?

What a shit attitude from the seller , good job the whole pan didn’t collapse under you !!!!

Not sure you'll get far with Amazon either as their current policy seems to be to try to wash their hands of anything after 30 days. Can't hurt to ask though. Might be worth approaching the manufacturer direct as a warranty claim?

Not entirely sure who your contract is with in the case of a third party seller. Worth a call to CAB to confirm. If still no joy then you'll have to consider Small Claims Court, but the onus will be on you to prove a manufacturing defect. So you'll at least need a "report" from the installer stating as much in his professional opinion. Then send this as a "Letter Before Action" to whoever your contract is with giving them a reasonable but fixed time scale to resolve the issue before you issue proceedings.

Not sure you'll get far with Amazon either as their current policy seems to be to try to wash their hands of anything after 30 days. Can't hurt to ask though. Might be worth approaching the manufacturer direct as a warranty claim?

Not entirely sure who your contract is with in the case of a third party seller. Worth a call to CAB to confirm. If still no joy then you'll have to consider Small Claims Court, but the onus will be on you to prove a manufacturing defect. So you'll at least need a "report" from the installer stating as much in his professional opinion. Then send this as a "Letter Before Action" to whoever your contract is with giving them a reasonable but fixed time scale to resolve the issue before you issue proceedings.

It looks like small claims is going to be the way forward on this.
This is their response to my latest message

Hi,

This has developed a crack from misuse.

The warranty would not cover this

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom