Crab spider eating a fly

jomike

I saw this fly upside down on a geranium flower, and when I looked closer I saw that there was a small crab spider holding it. I was able to use my tripod and get some shots for a stack. Diffused onboard flash used.

Camera: Nikon D50
Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/16
Focal Length: 90 mm
ISO Speed: 200

Stack of two shots in CombineZM

Mike

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Mike - you continue to amaze me with the things you find in your garden and the way you capture them so well in your photos. Brilliant stuff mate :thumbsup:

kevwood

Novice Member
Nice shots and good DOF.

When you plan on doing a focus stack, I presume you set the camera up and then control the DOF via the focus ring? The reason I ask, is because my recent attempts at macro have all been hand held and I've controlled the focus by moving the camera back and forwards. Means each shot is rarely close to the last, obviously no good for focus stacking.

jomike

Mike - you continue to amaze me with the things you find in your garden and the way you capture them so well in your photos. Brilliant stuff mate :thumbsup:
Thanks John, I think you will find these in any garden, you just have to develop an eye to spot them.

Nice shots and good DOF.

When you plan on doing a focus stack, I presume you set the camera up and then control the DOF via the focus ring? The reason I ask, is because my recent attempts at macro have all been hand held and I've controlled the focus by moving the camera back and forwards. Means each shot is rarely close to the last, obviously no good for focus stacking.
No, I do it by moving the camera back and forth in minute increments. The secret is to not rotate the camera in any plane while you are doing this, this is why it is easier to do this while mounted on a tripod. You just push or pull the camera slightly to get different focal planes. The ideal is a focus rail on the tripod of course.

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom