1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CR80 remote control

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rantanplan, Aug 6, 2005.

1. rantanplan

rantanplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks,

due to shortcomings of the CR314 remote control (low range and beam cone angle, clumsy keys) I'm thinking about getting the learnable CR80 as a comprehensive remote control for my system.

What's your experience with the CR80? Are the IR beam range and angle bigger? I think it's annoying if one always must aim exactly in the direction of the IR sensor.

Regards,
    Rantanplan

2. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I find mine's fairly directional but not excessively so. Depends how much it bothers you I guess, as I tend to point the widget at the piece of kit anyway...

3. NiallAikman

NiallAikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have a CR80 remote (got it with my AVR300) and find it much easier to use than my CR415 (DV27 remote). The old remote was a real pain. had to move closer and point it exactly in the right direction, CR80 is much more forgiving, in my experience. None of the same problems.

4. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I suppose it depends how big your room is, and where the kit is placed relative to the window.

I have my kit in a fairly small room (approx. 2.5m x 3.5m) and although I experienced the same problems with the basic Arcam remotes, the CR80 is brilliant. I can point it in absolutely any direction and it will work.

The only problem that I find is due to the fact that my kit is opposite an east facing window, so for about half an hour a day while the sun is setting, it shines directly onto the IR sensors of the amp/cd/etc and the remote must be pointed directly at the kit.

I really like my CR80, but before you buy, I would urge you to look at some of the other posts on this forum, regarding its limited memory for programming buttons

5. rantanplan

rantanplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds great. I was quite disappointed by the CR314 since my old CR224 was by no means so picky. So I guess, I will go for CR80. The ability of having one control for all devices is a big plus. Thanks a lot folks.