1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPUs - best bang for buck

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Mr Grumpy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm thinking of upgrading (more like replacing...) my current 1Ghz Athlon setup and was wondering what people thought would be a good cpu to consider. The pc will be mostly used for surfing/Office apps but I quite fancy having the option to game from time to time. I should also state that I certainly do not have a leaning towards either Intel or AMD, in fact dependent on usage I know that some of the AMD chips are pretty nifty performers. If anyone has an affordable setup they are really happy with then I am happy to listen to suggestions of mobos and video cards too.

:thumbsup:

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    If you have the right mobo there is a good chance you could flash the bios and just whack an Athlon 2200+, 2400+ or the 2500+ mobile processor straight in with all your existing kit - it's what I did and made a nice cheap step up from a 1500+
    However, if it's all getting on a bit it'll be time for a proper mb and an Athlon 64 with the bits to match - not a cheap option but it brings you bang up to date....

3. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's an Abit KT7-A, so whilst a great board in it's day I fear that the second option might be on the cards. So that'll be CPU, Mobo , memory and vga card then - for starters at least. :(

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I'm very successfully running a KG7-RAID with an Athlon 2400+ (266), 768 megs of Crucial PC2100, Radeon 9800 Pro, pair of WD SE 80 gig 8 meg cache drives using RAID 0, the "slow" FSB hasn't proved a problem yet - in fact it is subjectively a lot faster than my RM Pentium 3 gig with hyperthreading machine at work ;)

5. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is that RM as in Research Machines ?
    I only ask as that's who I work for as a field engineer.

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-13.html for some benchmarks.

as for best bang for buck, at the lower end the AMD Sempron 2500 offers a good price performance price ratio.
    If spending a bit more then the 3.0GHz P4 is very hard to beat in the price/performance stakes. The AMD 64's also perform well, but you really need a 64bit OS to get the very best from these; there 32bit OS performance is still commendable.

Motherboard wise, what features are you after (Firewire, RAID, etc.) Do you have a formfactor in mind (ATX, mATX)?

7. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well having looked at that link over on Tom's, I can expect a huge improvement in just about everything moving from my 1.0 Ghz Athlon. As for form factor, smaller is better provided I can still fit in a decent vga card. The other question mark then is how much memory is it worth getting before you start getting into the realms of wasting money (not that it's expensive right now) ?
    Cheers for the replies so far guys, I used to be up on the latest technology but I have been losing touch a little of late and things seem to move on so quickly in PC land :eek: .

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As a quick aside, I'm in a similar position wondering about upgrading my Duron 1200 in an Asus A7M266 MB. The MB runs at 266MHz but are modern CPUs with a faster FSB backwards compatible? :)

9. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    eviljohn if your board supports the specific type of processor (looking at voltage requirements for Barton/Sempron etc) then it will have no issue running at a lower FSB although your overall CPU speed would then be limited. The problem with newer chips is that they come multiplier locked so it's not simply a case of increasing the multiplier to try and compensate for the speed reduction as a result of running on a 266 bus. Grab yourself a mobile chip if it works on your board, albeit at a premium, and you can fiddle with multiplier settings if available; also the lows volts works wonders.

To the original poster, I think an A64 on a 939 board should give you some room for future upgrades, 32 bit performance is great and Windows 64 is around the corner so you could unlock the full potential. Dual Core chips will also trickle onto the market in the couple of months so depending on what you consider important may be a viable option; although the AMD solutions are dearer than Intel's, to start with atleast.

10. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Yes, as I work for the University of Warwick, who won't allow us to have anything but RM :thumbsup: (god only knows why? :rotfl: )
    'tis a shame as it means we are limited to the Intel stable....

11. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'm pretty sure for games Athlon 64s win hands down from what I've read just about everywhere :)