1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Usage at 100%

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by explicitlyrics, Jan 4, 2005.

1. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have Windows XP SP2 (installed updates very recently), more or less since them I have a had a funny 'System' task at >80% CPU time. I have tried all the culprits, removed the updates, Ad-Aware, defragment, cleared caches, deleted temp files, run Anti Virus. At a bit of a loss now and really dont have the time to reformat.... it was so stable before hand (wouldnt crash for 2 months normally). Anybody have any ideas on it, pics below.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=16971869

BTW: Active Smart is my disk monitoring program, supposed to spot any upcoming failures and since install has always run two 'cores', that isnt the problem

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had that, IIRC it's something to do with possibly removeable media, something is probing a device .. in my case it was a virtual DVD drive created by Alcohol. A reboot got rid of it but something provoked it, not sure what it was though.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,363
    when I view the photo it's not big enough to see the processes running :confused:

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I forgot before, I posted my problem on here .. this is the thread, only one reply but it helped me discover the problem.

5. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Installing SP2 trashed my XP installation but that aside since reinstalling XP SP1 I've been plagued with problems and on the last install I was getting an overactive system process.

It appeared to be linked to another process "ciscv.exe" which apparently monitors memory - closing that seemed to fix it but it is apparently needed for standard operation. On the third reinstall now and all seems well .... for the moment.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,363
    that process is the indexing service, which you can disable.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was plagued with problems when I initially installed SP2 which resulted in me doing a reformat. Since then however, all seems well :)

A few people I know have commented on the fact that SP2 installed over existing software seems to cause some conflicts, yet if you can get SP2 in place prior to getting the rest of your programmes sorted, things run as they should.

It worked for me anyway - the only issue I had was with Roxio Easy CD Creator (version 5) - no matter what I did, I simply couldn't get it to work following installation of SP2 :( Burnt coaster after coaster before switching to Nero which works fine :confused:

K.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,592
    Creater v5, is a very poor and unstable piece of software anyway!

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Wow, better response than even on a dedicated PC forum... I have now done several things including disabling quite a few services (indexing was already off) and stopped the LEX***.EXE things (I dont have a Lexmark Printer so they were a little dodgy!!). Cleaned out the registry using Reg1aid and RegSupreme. Removed some unneeded software and some other left behind files, havnt had another 100% crash yet. Sometimes iexplore.exe goes to 100% when browsing certain pages and needs closing to get the PC back to normal.

I have Process Explorer running in full screen on the second monitor so I should be able to see what triggers the mad 'System' process.

Thanks Kragorn ill check your idea later today. I have a fear it was bloody SP2, I held off for a while but eventually gave in because friends were saying it did lots of things well... next step might be uninstalling SP2...

Thanks everybody :)

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'll just point out my problem occurred on my HTPC which is firmly rooted in the SP1A era. :)