1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU upgrade and DVI out question

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by gtg60, Mar 10, 2005.

1. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Two quick questions:
    Firstly I've just bought a second PC and wish to switch the CPU with my old PC, my main and older PC has a Pentium 4 2.6GHz with 800MHz FSB and 512k cache, the new PC has a Pentium 4 3.0GHz with 800MHz FSB and 1MB cache, I'm assuming and hoping that I can just switch them and that there will be no problems?

Secondly, I have a dual output graphics card with a VGA and a DVI connection, I want to connect it to my plasma (which has a standard VGA connection and a HDMI one), would I see an improvement in picture quality by connecting the DVI to HDMI with a special cable over the standard VGA cable?

Thanks in advance...

Keith

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer the first question. You should be able to swap with no problem. If the 3.0Ghz is a Prescott then you may need a bios upgrade to support it. Check with the manufactureres web site.

I can't really answer the second question but I would assume it depends on the resolution of the plasma and how good it is in the first place. You can't make a silk purse etc etc....

Dave

3. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    DVI = HDMI = Digital
    VGA = RGBHV = Analogue

And yes you will see an improvement with a digital connection.

4. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the quick reply both of you :smashin:

Funny thing is, my DVI out came with a small block connector that converts it to a VGA connection and I'm wondering if there's such a thing as an analogue DVI?? Because I can't see any way this small piece of plastic could convert a digital signal to analogue??

Keith

5. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Your right, your card outputs DVI-I, that digital+analogue. Monitors etc only use DVI-D (pure digital like HDMI) on the DVI socket and analogue on the 15 pin d-sub VGA. Hence the adapter.

6. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    So, then, I wouldn't be able to connect the DVI-I to HDMI??

Keith

7. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you could convert DVI to HDMI. In that case the adapter throws away the analogue signal and just leaves the digital...

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes you can :) .. a DVI -> HDMI cable is technically a DVI-D -> HDMI, the DVI-D plug simply ignores the pins carrying the analog signals on the DVI-I connector on the PC's card.

[edit]

Beaten to it. ;)

9. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    :thumbsup: Great, so worth buying the DVI to HDMI cable then, now here's a question leading on from that, so DVI-I carries both Digital and Analogue information, is there a splitter that would allow me to connect both the DVI of the plasma and the VGA of a computer monitor? (I currently running a large desktop over two monitors which I'd rather not give up).

Thanks for all the quick and well informed replies :smashin:

Keith

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've never seen such a splitter, but why can't you use the VGA output as well as DVI and run dual monitors in 'clone' mode? You could have a problem if you use Overlay as that normally only renders on the primary display, but I think there are ways to handle that, and if you use VMR that's not an issue.

11. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    They exist:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=DVIIY-5

Don't know what happens if you connect both at the same time?

And he wants to run three displays at once. I would suggest a DVI splitter box, I can find a link if you need one.

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I didn't really take notice of his dual-monitor comment .. in which case the answer is that the cable you mention (which is indeed something I've not seen before) won't be of any use if he wants to use the dual-monitor desktop at the same time, since the DVI-A and DVI-D carry the same video stream .. if it works concurrently at all it'll show the same thing on both.

13. gtg60

gtg60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for that link, that site is cool and found almost exactly what I wanted (DVI-I to DVI-D + VGA splitter and then a 10M DVI-D to HDMI lead) so I can connect my PC to my plasma by digital link and then retain the dual monitor setup :thumbsup: If only they had a single DVI-I to VGA and 10M HDMI lead ;)

I understand that the plasma will have the same display as one of my dual monitors but that's fine, up until now I was expecting to have to keep connecting and disconnecting the plasma as needed.

Thanks for everybody's input, never had a thread answered so quickly and with the exact solution I needed before :clap: