1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Upgrade - AMD recommendations?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Bradford Blade, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi guys,

I’d appreciate some advice and/or info from some of you more experienced and knowledgable people.

Wishing to finally put the icing on the cake of my custome built PC I’m planning on upgrading my current CPU to one of the following:-

AMD Athlon 64 FX57
    AMD Athlon 64 FX55
    AMD 64 X2 4800+

It's mostly used 50% for gaming, 30% watching DVD’s in a Home Theatre configuration and listening to music (CD’s, DVD-Audio, downloads etc), with around 20% web browsing and general PC work thrown in.

My dilemma is which of these CPU’s would be the best choice for my needs, when all the logical considerations are weighed up, i.e. future proofing; immediate pros (& cons); long-term pros (& cons); price drops etc, etc…

Has anyone here got one of these CPU’s and how do they compare with your previous hardware? How would you rate it and was it worth the upgrade and outlay?

Please fill me in as best as you can as I want to make the right decision as I’m not intending on upgrading again for some time.

My sincere thanks in advance for any comeback.

LAGAVULIN

2. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you're referring to the computer in your sig, then you don't need any of them. A 3800+ coupled with a 7800GTX is more than enough for today's games and will last you a good couple of years as it is. It certainly doesn't warrant splashing out £700+.

Save the cash for when you need the upgrade. From the uses you've listed you don't appear to do much multi-tasking and that's the only real benefit of dual core at the moment. When applications / games take advantage of them, they'll be more desirable. By then the technology will have matured anyway leading to more efficient / optimised cores.

A 4800+ is essentially two 4000+ processors 'thrown together' in any case. Since you already have a 3800+ processor, the performance gain will be relatively small until multi-threaded applications come along. This is because in current single-threaded applications, the 4800+ uses only one core, thereby giving a performance similar to a 4000+ processor...

Alex

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Totally agree with Insertnamehere. Save the cash as nid next year AMD is supposed to be changing the socket setup and going to DDR2 and other things.

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Can only agree with the other 2 posters - and utter waste of money.

Since games are single threaded and GFX card dependant - the cpu is negligible in performance issues ( as long as its not at the extreme ends of the scale .. ie 1gig duron paired with you gfx card for example )

for watching dvd's and general pc usage, you will not come close to strainging your current CPU, never mind those spec'd.

Unless you are planning on creating your own multimedia studio or encoding databases large databases .... to which you should be getting a workstation or server with raid anyway ( not 0 or 1 like we do at home ) ... its a waste of time.

If its for pure 'look at me, I've got the fastest PC' you'll be wasting your cash there are well --- as there are always plenty of guys that have butchered their pc's and run up mega cooling rigs to overclock the hell out of them - unless you fancy phase cooling your gfx card, its ram, the motherboard, mem and cpu, you won't come close to them ;)

5. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Dude

I have heard of wanting more power but are you planning on taking over the world or infiltrating the pentagon... My god man she cannot take no more..

6. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Thanks :smashin: I've perused a few replies - here and elsewhere - that reflect similar points.

I'll be fair and reiterate my original implication that there are many more experienced gamer/computer 'geeks' ;) out there than me and it's that wealth of knowledge I'm wanting to tap into. But it's quite surprising that I really thought the FX57 was far better than some of the responses suggest.
    This was sorta the way I was leaning although I did hear that an X2 would still be benficial, although I do tend to lean in your direction as described below...
    ... :thumbsup:

Thanks again Alex. Top stuff.

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

7. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Mmmm...could well be? Although I've got, it ain't burnin' a hole in my pocket and I also live by the adage "a fool and his money..."...
    Trying to be objective here, this point seems to contradict the bench's and tests I've seen published of the FX57 that basically gives an average of 40-55% and can even reach the top end of 85% better performance running many apps (especially games) than say an Athlon 64 4000+ (let alone my 3800+) :confused:

Be assured though, as stated in the reply above, I'm far from the expert and am still happy to admit that I need the advice of more knowledable dudes out there (much like yourself) who see this stuff "in the real world"...
    Na, never was nor never has been my desire to 'pose' as some uber-geek.

It's basically a project close to my heart that I've been doin' for the better part of a year and I'm now at the stage of near completion. If it was for the 'pose' I wouldn't be posting here asking advice that'd make me look like a schmuck anyway :cool:

But sincere thanks for the honesty; it's appreciated. I really did think the FX57 was far better than you suggest and I probably am underestimating my 3800+ :oops:

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

8. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    No, I'll leave that to George Bush and his cronies - thing is does he even know how to use a computer :rotfl:

Probably can, but there's no point if it ain't gonna benefit :rolleyes:

On a serious note though, and I mean this as humbly as possible, but do you imply that my current system is actually already quite (if not TOO) powerful? I'm not convinced, although I know it's a pretty decent rig :confused:

Anyway, many thanks,

LAGAVULIN

9. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Save your cash - and look later at the dual core option when apps and games are actuall taxing your rig.

I'm running a slighly slower rig cpu and gfx wise ... and I am running WoW @ 1600x1200 with bells and whistles at 60fps + .... so until you need it leave it be.

10. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Your rig is well upto spec for most games and programms so as our alph leader Ethics Gradient says you should save your cash and play the waiting game like many of us have done in the past.

I hope you was not afended by my post its just that I have a warped sense of humour. :rotfl:

Live long and prosper

Darko

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    No not at all; I sensed a darkly humourous notion behind your statement. I just s'pose - as a bit of a novice (at the most borderline intermediate) that I am - I really thought my PC was lacking somewhat in the CPU dept.? Y'know the "weak-link-in-the-chain" sorta thing.

But thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna re-reflect upon this proposed 'upgrade' and do some more research I reckon :lesson:

Best wishes to all,

LAGAVULIN

12. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    NB: I did put some quotes above in the few responses I made to several of the replies made by various peeps and they've gone walkabout (they WERE there when I posted 'em :confused: ) so that's why they might seem a little confusing.

Thanks again to all you guys who've taken the time to respond. It's been a lesson for me, but if there's any other thoughts or people with experience of this stuff, please post your comments.

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

13. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you're missing the point. No one said the FX 55 / FX 57 won't perform better than your 3800+. The point people are making (including myself) is that a 3800+ processor is more than enough to power today's games as it is (and for future usage). Spending a further £700 on an (unnecessary) upgrade is ridiculous. Upgrade when you need to upgrade, not just for the sake of it. (Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh lol). You also mention 'future-proofing'. Well if that's the case, buying a single core processor isn't the way to go. Like I said, there aren't any applications that take advantage of dual core now but there will be in the future (including games like UT2007). (Thats not to say you should jump on the bandwagon yet! - just saying it's the more future proof of the three.)

So sure you'll get more FPS with the FX series but will it make your gameplay any more enjoyable? No. I'd be more worried about keeping your graphics card up to date. By powering a screen of that size, you'll be upgrading that more frequently than most.

So what would I do? Keep the existing setup for 24 months or so (the acception may be your graphics card - like I said if you want to run the latest games at that resolution you'll be upgrading that sooner than most). Then upgrade to dual core when multi-threaded applications really take advantage of it and the core itself has been tweaked / optimised. Around early 2007, Intel should have released their new CPU (code-named Conroe) which will hopefully offer much better competition to AMD, i.e. you'll have more choices available to you. Jumping onto the new tech bandwagon isn't always a good idea. It's normally a good idea to wait and let it mature so that any problems / flaws are ironed out.

Alex

Side-note: Weird how the quotes have been 'removed' from your posts. Makes things unclear as to what you're referring to at times. I don't know whether you were even looking for a response from me... lol. Oh well, you've got it now. :)

14. tinoest

tinoest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ever thought of overclocking? You should be able to get quite close to the chips you are looking at buying if you overclock.

To upgrade your processor at this time would be a waste of money especially with the new M2 socket comming out mid next year. I would wait and save your money for a 'big' upgrade.

15. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi Alex,

No offence meant but I did pretty much get the point some were making; likewise I didn't actually say that they said "it wouldn't perform better than a 3800+" just that I thought the FX57 was far better than some had suggested when compared to a 3800+...

Desiring to be educated here, I'll play 'devils advocate' and ask if that is the case, why on earth do FX57's exist? Surely AMD have wasted their time and effort [and gamers their money] when they could have bought - at the very most - a 4000+ for a fraction of the cost, for more or less the same 'real world' performance?

No not all, I deeply appreciate your honesty, rather than someone spieling sycophantic codswallop. But reflecting on my above query, I'd like to point out that your comment, relevant as I think it is, is really only an opinion. I or someone else (there must be as I know AMD HAVE sold many a thousand of these CPU's) might not share such an opinion. Further to a couple of your next points, I think it is fair to say that generally speaking, my original enquiry as to a proposed upgrade to one of the aforementioned CPU's appears to have digressed quite a bit. It appears not a few people (no matter where) are concentrating more on the actual ethics involved in spending £X amount on Y rather than my simple query of which of the three were best/better etc. But "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" so I'll humbly add my thoughts for what it's worth.

I mean - broadly speaking for arguments sake - those with low spec PC's have low spec PC's coz they either can't afford or can't be bothered with high spec ones and would therefore be ruled out as a potential upgrader to a CPU such as the FX57. Moreover those with already relatively (or extremely) high spec PC's have high spec PC's coz they can afford and can be bothered with such and are therefore likely to be the target audience for the likes of the FX series; but the paradox seems to be that they wouldn't ever need such a CPU as the one they'd likely have would already be close enough to the FX series as to make the upgrade irrelevant - the general exceptions would appear to be few and far between, making the existence of the likes of the FX57 futile?! IMHO, if this were the case, such as these forums wouldn't have much of a 'need' to exist; no-one would be upgrading PC's; AV equipment; consoles etc., etc.

I agree here 100%

Again, I'm with you here all the way, except that I may still upgrade, I dunno. I've just had a hint dropped that there might be a price drop in the not too distant future for what I'm looking at - we'll see. Nonetheless, it's worth bearing in mind that many people change their car every coupla years etc., etc., when there's actually NO NEED to :rolleyes:

Big thanks again Alex for some of your info.

LAGAVULIN

Hopefully this time the quotations of yours are intact; if not, I doubt you'll get what I'm on about (although my wife says that all the time :( )

16. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Cheers Tinoest,

Yep, I have been looking into this. Any guidance you can suggest?

thanks,

LAGAVULIN

17. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The FX-57 is aimed at the hardcore enthusiast. The multiplier on the processor is unlocked and allows people to overclock their systems to the max using water-cooling or phase change cooling (keeping your components at sub zero temperatures). To these people it's all about pushing things to the limit. Thats who I believe the chip is mostly aimed at.

Indeed it is and you're quite right others might not share it. At the end of the day its your money and you can spend it on what you like. :)

Yes people will think spending £700 on a CPU is 'over the top', giving you the impression that they're "concentrating more on the actual ethics" as you put it. However, the fact is even if it cost half that I doubt people would recommend the upgrade because compared to the processor you have at he moment you wouldn't notice any difference anyway. When playing a game would you really notice 70 fps vs 73 fps? Of course not.

However, it seems to me that you want more than my word (or opinion) so here's an article providing CPU scaling from a 3000+ processor up to a FX-57 processor.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_geforce_7800_gtx_scaling/default.asp

Note the 1600 x 1200 will be the nearest to the current resolution for your monitor (1920 x 1200 right?). Look at the results and tell me the FX-57 is worth it. Also compare the performance with the two graphics cards (current gen Vs last gen). You see the jump in performance? Thats why graphics cards are more important than your CPU in games.

However, it seems to me that you don't like the suggestion that an upgrade isn't benficial yet, so if you want an answer which only involves the three choices you've listed then:

- the FX-57 is the one to go for if you want ultimate performance today (providing you don't do any real multi-tasking).

- the X2 4800+ is the one to go for if you're looking at a more 'future proof' system (CPU wise anyway).

I think thats a little different. Althought you don't NEED it, buying a new car may give you a more economical car, be more comfortable, have more features etc, something you'll still benefit from (or notice at least). Buying a faster processor to what you've got will give you more cycles per second - something that you won't notice... yet.

Like I said though, at the end of the day its up to you so...

Good luck in your choice :thumbsup:. Whatever you do you'll have a fantastic system... (although I hope the the feedback is of some use in the decision making... ;)).

Cheers mate.

Alex

18. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi Alex,

Yeah, I see what you're saying about all the OC stuff, but from what I've read and heard the 57 isn't that good for 'serious' OCing - let alone the basics of what I'm capable of.

Some people will think that, and indeed they might be barking up the right tree. However, it isn't an "impression" that I get, it's clearly much more concrete than that; and please accept my apologies in the fact that I wasn't strictly directing my point at yourself, but more broadly towards some of the posts here and a few more elsewhere. My point being, is that I'm happy to admit that I may well have worded my original query badly, but I don't recall asking if it was OTT, or ridiculous, or a waste of money; or even if people recommended the upgrade etc., but rather which of the three CPU's would be the better choice...

To be perfectly fair Alex, your opinion is certainly useful, but as I'm sure you'd agree it ain't gospel (non of our mere opinions are), so I'm grateful for the link, which I've spent a short while scrutinising. :smashin:

Based only on that one bench I would happily throw my lot in with you and agree entirely. Moreover, sure, I see and completely accept your point as regards the GPU; that's why I plumped for a 7800GTX a while ago - I knew this was where 'most' of my gaming performance would originate from.

Come on Alex, that's not what I've said, but equally, nor did I originally enquire if such an upgrade was going to be at all 'beneficial'. Nevertheless, I'm happy to accept that there are a few peeps out there who DO share the view that my proposed 'upgrade' isn't beneficial and the more objective posts are welcome (much like most ;) of yours here) as they DO help me in weighing up all the pros 'n' cons of makin' my final decision.

I had a funny feeling you'd say something like that :D But it isn't on principle, any different. A new car doesn't cost £700 - more like 20x that (and that's the bottom end!) every few years, to save a few quid on petrol (that the last I heard was causing some public concern :confused: ) and to have a comfier seat??? Now IMHO THATS a waste of money in real world comparison and theres MANY more peeps who do this than buy an AMD processor! If this principle is to apply then it applies at all walks of life, not just those I conveniently pick and choose. As another broad example, I mean how many pairs of trainers do you own or do you only buy a new pair when you only need another pair? At the end of the day though, whether I see it their way or not I feel an obligation to respect their wish to spend their cash on what gives them some satisfaction. I believe that is what it's there for. It's no use avin' it and not usin' it!

My sincere thanks Alex, and yes the more rational feedback has been (and still is) proving truly valuable. And I think that could sum it up - it's no use knowing the 'price' of everything if we know the 'value' of nothing...

All the very best m8 :thumbsup:

LAGAVULIN

19. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi guys,

Ruminating a bit on the direction my original request has gone in, and some of the polemics that have been raised, I reckon that I should make my original intention a bit more lucid.

Y'see, I used to be well into the Home Cinema thing, hence my knowledge of these forums, and upto around 12 months ago it was my central hobby lets say. However, around Christmas time last year I got bitten by the PC bug and around Easter this year had decided to build my own rig (a courageous venture for someone scared to death of even taking the side panel off a PC :D )...

Well more or less 7 months on and I'm more or less there - and on the way, I decided to knock the Home Theatre stuff on the head and utilise my PC as the central hub of all my home entertainment et al (having a mild disability I don't/can't go out alot hence my reclusive hobbies ;) )...

I s'pose one of the larger factors behind my desire to go for either the X2 or an FX was simply to have the personal satisfaction that I had the best I could reasonably afford - I mean when put on the spot how many of us would claim that all our upgrades to our rigs, or AV equipment etc., were only ever out of neccessity? I know for a fact [I only need to recall my Home Theatre days on these here forums] nigh-on everyone of us hobbyists (PC, AV, Games Consoles, whatever) "upgrade", even just on the odd occasion, just coz we want to; not coz we only need to?! True? And I'd go a little further and say that this is only usually limited by the cash that one has available, and is willing to spend for their own fulfillment :confused:

So, although I understand why certain people would raise the issue that an FX, for example, wouldn't practically justify the outlay that I was willing to spend (and like above) not just for the real world benefits thereof, but I equally understand that since I didn't make my more broader motives that clear to start with, I happily take some responsibilty for the fact that the disscusion did lose sight of the real object of my request for info.

No matter, many thanks to those who've taken time to respond, as I am now looking at the issue from a mildly different perspective :smashin:

Regards to all,

LAGAVULIN

20. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    The majority of people consonsider them 'OTT' based on price.

You asked which would be the better choice - well thats contextual - price , requirement etc come into that decision .....

..... consider using a similar arguement upon asking questions about your next perspective car on those grounds.
    Well the best car costs £3Billion and you have to wear a hazzard suit before approaching it .... remove considerations like suitablitiy and requirements and you get silly and useless answers.

--- tbh I am wondering why you posted this thread ... it is becoming apparent that this thread is more 'troll' than real request .... since you ask for peoples 'sage' advice and yet seem to want to rip it to bits from all the research you have being doing yourself ... which begs the question why you are asking here in the first place.

If you are not trolling - I sugguest toneing down your attitude to fellow posters since your are requesting their help and advice ...

21. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I actually work in IT and the majority of PC hobbyists and/or gamers I rub shoulders with don't agree, which is why I was looking at the possibility of moving up to one of the CPU's I mentioned.

In my very last posts (which I assume you have read?), I tried to add the point that when making a choice like this it would have limitations, finally boiling down to one's cashflow, "...having the best one could reasonably afford...". Firstly, I don't drive, but I agree with you entirely; price, requirement would all come into it, but it would have to end at one's fiscal boundary. In the case of the CPU's I asked about, I can afford the best, but I cannot afford a £3billion car. So, in the context of this thread, I am fortunate enough to HAVE the best if I so choose, but in the context of cars, I could not afford the best, so as you rightly intimate, it'd be useless/silly considering it.

I thought I'd tried to clear up any confusion I may have caused in my very last post, openly confessing that I should have made my request a little more specific. But trolling :confused: Please peruse all my posts on AVForums to see if that really is a justified accusation.

But it isn't particularly fair to accuse one of trolling, or ripping to bits (strong vocabulary; challenged, sure, but not 'ripped to bits') and toning down my attitude just because I desired to preserve a bit of personal integrity when person(s) make allegation(s) towards myself. Surely anyone ought to be permitted to respond firmly and objectively to such, and re-reading my previous posts I cannot see where I have been nasty, vindictive etc., to warrant such excessive terms towards me. If I have done just that, please point it out so I can see where I've gone wrong.

I feel you've read stuff into some of my words that I don't believe is there - at least intentionally. I have posted - more or less - identical observations on a few other forums, and non of them have responded like this, in fact quite the contrary in some replies. I s'pose it IS horses for courses? So, it's gonna be best to bow out on this as it seems to be doing more hassle than good; I humbly offer an apology to all who might have become offended by a few of my deeper observations, it was never my intention to cause such, so sorry :oops:

My (sincere) best regards to all,

LAGAVULIN

22. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    It think if we were having this discussion 5 to 10 years ago, while the cost vs apllication would still be relevent, it would be more pro the faster cpu than today - this is down to the fact that in the last 5 years, cpu's have out paced application demands ... and graphics cards have become more significant in gameing performance.

The significance of the the cpu has become less and less - its still a factor, but it no longer is such a bottle neck.

once you have a cpu over a certain performance threashold - applications and games tend to level out against the graphics card - which in gameing is the significant factor. Now, it is no longer a case of having to drop resolutions or environmental options to make games playable of all but the top of the line cpu's - because its virtually all processed off cpu on the gfx card.

So the diminishing returns curve has dropped abit - making it less and less benificial to throw cash at the top end cpu's - the most signficant performance increases in all round system usage will be found on the dual core chips - in a pratical real world sense - but currently only in desktop applications - not gaming in any signicant sense.

I have been a hard core overclocker for along time - I run a phase cooling rig ( refrigeration compressor cooling ) ... but since my last system upgrade I have actually not bothered ( much ) and just minor tweaked the settings ... because I finally found no advantages vs the games and applications I was running.

-- I no longer have the blinkered 'fan boy' view of performance over practicality that I had for many years.

Just my observations
    EG
    - ex Commadore / Dell / Alpha ( DEC ) systems engineer - now a hardware / software developer in Comms ...... and hard core gamer.

23. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    sorry if this question is off topic, but i am also looking to upgrade my cpu and GFX card. changing the GFX card is simple, i have done it several times before, so i am wondering how dificult is changing the cpu, it is a amd 3500 mounted on a nvidia nForce4 k8n neo4 PE edition motherboard? is it a case of unplug and plug in ? or is soldering required?

....neil

24. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Replacing the CPU is not much more difficult than replacing any other component. Replacing the heatsink is usaly the most difficult bit. Simply remove the heat sink, lift up the arm and then remove the chip, place the new chip in push the arm down and replace the heatsink. The chip should **** in place when correctly inserted. You may need to replace the heatsink if your going to use a chip that produces more heat, usualy any upgrade.

As with the discussion (/argument) I doubt there is any need to upgrade from a 3500 anytime soon. If you do wish to get a replacement it would need to be a socket 939.

With regard to the origional topic, an upgrade would give virtualy no perceieveble performance improvement but if you want bragging rights and desire to own the best of the best then by all means get the fx or even the highest rating dual core, I would say you'd have to be a fassion vicim for the tech sector but they do sell the chips to some one.

Although in future if you have your mind set there really is not much point asking for advice, and if you do have an idea about what you want but would like a second opinion its rude to rip those opinions people are giving when you don't agree with them, especialy when they are just trying to be helpful.

25. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    gazbarber, thanks for you info and opinions regarding the cpu issue. but if you say that upgrading the cpu isnt really essential, then do you have an idea what is causing a problem when playing games with a large amount of things happening on screen? a prime example is in C&C zero hour when all the defenses start to attack, the game almost freezes. by the way, i have a 256 meg 850 pe pci express gfx card, 1 gig corsair ram and all non essential background programs shut down

26. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I have the same problem with C&C Zero Hour on certain large maps, I think it's more of a problem with the program rather than the computer. I found the problem first of all on my main games machine which while it isn't state of the art it is a 2.5GHz Pentium with a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra and 1 Gig RAM, so it should be able to cope with the game. As a test, I loaded the game onto an old Athlon 1.4Ghz with a Geforce4 4600 graphics card and 512 Mb RAM and the game ran at exactly the same speed as on the main gaming computer.
    This leads me to believe that it's a problem with the game, but their tech support are useless and refuse to believe this.

27. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Generals is let down by shoddy network code, and is generaly not the best made game, but thats probably because its made by ea and not westwood. Its not a bad game apart from some performance troubles, try the latest patch.

If it happens on other games i would be a little more concerened, as although your pc is not state of the art, 3 months ago before the 7800 came it it very much was and that rig should last you for another few years of high end gaming.

28. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    thanks John, puts my mind at rest :thumbsup:

backs up what John has said. i will see if there are any updates available, and when the next generation of ati gfx cards emerge next month, i will try one of those

29. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think *if* i'm right that Lagavulin just wants to know the fastest processor? I'm guessing that Lagavulins not interested in price or cost/performance ratio's?

If this is the case then I would opt for a Dual Core as multi-threading apps can't be that far away can they? Surley we're only talking a few months?

XP 64 take advantage of Dual Core (I doubt)? Maybe will the service pack for this will enable it? Any ideas people?

Monty
    - ex Commadore (Amiga assembly coder ;) ) ...... Ethics :hiya: Thanks for finishing and developing a system I had so much fun on! :clap:

30. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    dont waste money on another cpu. if you really want to squeese more performance on it by a £30 heatsink and overclock the cpu instead. I wasnt silly enough to buy an FX55 - i just paid £90 for a 3200+ venice and overclocked it to 2.6hgz. it's jsut as fast -why should i spend more?

now im just waiting for te anti-overclocking brigade to bash me....