1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Question

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by dapex, Aug 5, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,
    Long time since I have been hovering around here as I have so much on to take my time. Anyway I am back here to ask a question for a friend who needs help. He is looking at building a PC and started asking me questions about which CPU to get. Now I have always used AMD because of the price but this obviously doesn't make it the best choice, espically when I found out that a friend of mine who backs up all his dvd's reckons he main machine which has an AMD chip takes twice as long as a lower powered Pentium machine he has.

So then, are the figure always true, does an AMD and an Intel both rated at 3.2gig run the same??

Does the bus speed make a massive amount of difference (thinking about intel chips mainly)

What diffeence does the various sockets make. My friend has looked at Intel chips with differeing bus speeds, differing overall speed and now we are both confused:)

Cheers

Dave

2. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Look at the chart above and you can check by comparing the DivX and LAME benchmarks.

However now that AMD support SSE3, in the latest processors, they will improve a bit.

Apart from these specific BM for DVD/MP3 encoding, in many tasks AMD is faster. The answer as to which is better is subtle. If you read up some of the tomshardware articles, it will shed some light on it.

In general it is quite a confusing game as the whole subject is fraught with subtle parameter changes which means the ratings game ie calling something 3000+ is confusing, for exampe AMD clearly state that Sempron 3400+ is equivalent to only a 3000+ in the regular line - go figure.

Cheers

Rajvi