1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU processor requirements for MPEG 2

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Jaime, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently posted about improving the quality of footage from my mini DV camcorder to PC to VCD.

The replies were great!

DVD rewriter required and software foe MPEG 2.

However, I have just read in the notes for Pinnacle's trial movie studio 9 that for MPEG 2 to work, the PC processor has to be at least 2.2GHZ.

Is this true? I have a pentium 3, 1 GIG, 80GB HDD computer and I can't afford to buy a new processor as well.

Please can you advise?

Many thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  3. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks!

All I want to do is get the quality up to scratch!

Will try the link now!

4. bugster

bugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is probably the minimum spec required for encoding to mpeg2 in real-time during capture. This is not required and does not result in the best possible quality. Capture the DV direct to your PC via firewire. It will be stored in an avi file. Use that file as the source when you edit and encode to DVD compliant mpeg2 as the last but one step before authoring your DVD. A 1Ghz processor will take quite a while to encode to a decent quality DVD, but the wait will be worth it!

BTW, make sure your cam is set to use 16 bit sound. The 12 bit setting causes problems for quite a few conversion apps.

5. Jaime

Jaime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!!

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Yes, the high spec processor will only be required for direct to disk capture.
    I have an old(ish) P4 1.8Ghz processor and can create DVD's with no problems.
    I have Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 for DVD authoring that runs with no problems on my PC, but I can not do the direct to disk capture. This is basically a feature that with a single button press will capture the complete tape in the camcorder and burn it to a DVD, but with no editing or fancy menu/chapters etc. I assume it is the same type of thing with Pinnacle Studio 9.

Mark.