CPU OC question.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by AML, Mar 17, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Recently I've been over clocking my CPU (P4) and I got it all the way up to 3.30ghz (up from stock 2.80ghz) and everything was alright.

These are my motherboard settings:
    CPU:236
    AGP:72/36/109
    dimm:+0.1v
    AGP:+0.1v
    CPU Voltage:1.5875

So my question is: After I continued going up and had the CPU @ 243 (3.40ghz) did windows stop starting up?

It kept reseting itself and eventually when i lowered the settings and managed to get windowns to start did it say that this was caused by a driver malfunction?
    Does a P4 use drivers? :confused:

Anyway, I would like to get the CPU back up to 3.4ghz. I know it works coz i had it there before. The PC started up Ok but windows didnt. How can I get windows to work?

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    AML

You may have had your PC "running" but not Windows, but that's due to system instability due to clocking your processor higher than it should. I'm not great when it comes to clocking stuff (Old fashioned - besides 3.2ghz is fine with me), but I think the only way you can increase stability there would be to cool the processor further. Having said that, I was under the belief that you should be looking for 5-10% increase from your processor speed, which at 3.2 you would fall in at.

Again - can't stress enough I'm not totally great with OC as other than my Graphics card, I don't touch it (PC's plenty nippy as it stands).

BR

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    OK. Cheers. I guess ill leave it at 3.3ghz. It is enough for now I suppose.
    Just wanted to see how high I could take her since ive seen pictures of a P4 runing at 7ghz, yes you read right, 7 ghz!
    That was over at Hard OCP.

I guess ill leave her at 3.3 and start saving for my next PC.

Next time ill probably go for water cooling and try going higher and higher.

(congrats on the reviewers position by the way!)

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Water cooling would probably do it as would some form of freezing (which is how the 7ghz is done, using nitrogen I'd assume!)

Personally, I reduced the temp of my CPU by a)Thermaltake Case (which took it to 55c) then b)a heavy duty PSU, which takes it to about 50, or even 48.5 on a good day. I'm running a Prescott 3.2, so some people think running them at 70c is pretty cool. I also have a Coolermaster Jet 4 heatsink and fan, which I keep cranked to 3500rpm (a little noisy but not so much that it bothers me). CPU prices should fall in April (every quarter they usually do) so keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks for the congrats !

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember you're also pushing your memory overclocking :eek: It's possible your memory couldn't run at those speeds - assuming 1:1.

See if you can change the divider in BIOS - 4:5 or whatever's available. It'll make your memory run slower allowing more OC'ing of the CPU.

TBH though, 3.3 from a 2.8gHz isn't bad.

:smoke:

6. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Agree with Kramer,more likely to be your memory thats the problem, i had a very similar thing with my old p42.5, my pc2700 memory would'nt let it go any further so you have to do as Kramer saysif it's a Asus board i think from memoy the seting should be changed to a lower speed, also the setting for the agp will need to be changed from syncronomous to asyncronomous or something like that as it'll oc your agp etc, however i'm no expert so i stand to be corrected. Try ocuk forums for advice on oc etc.

7. goronwy

goronwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im saving for replacment parts my self i have just blone up a amd 64 4.3ghz prosesser and navida g-force fx-69000 dx agp card as well as my bios, im in :censored: street mate

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,448
    Lower the CPU multiplier, and increase the FSB, and use a memory divider.

9. goronwy

goronwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it to late the porsesser is brown the bios chip has melted it totaled

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Is all that gear cheaper than just buying a **** hot cpu?

11. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Well the 3.4 Prescott wasn't out and an Extreme P4 is silly amounts of cash (£600 for a processor? Mad yes, but I'm not totally insane). I need a 650w PSU - if you calculate my hardware requirements for 9 hard disks, DVD Rom (SCSI) and DVD-Writer (SATA), a 6800GT card, an additonal IDE Raid card, 2GB Ram, an additional Firewire/USB card and other stuff I've got in there, I need 637W to power it :) The case is more so I can fit the HDD in (there's not much out there with 7 internal 3 1/2" spaces) and the Coolermaster was like £20.

I won't overclock my processor - which sounds dumb considering my Mobo is designed specifically for that purpose - but it runs fast enough for me, so why push it?

Besides after the 3.2 Prescott - other than an Extreme chip, where else can I go (and forget mentioning AMD - I'll never own one).

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Heads up.

I lowered my memory speed and managed to get it to run stable at 3.4!
    Thanks for the advice!

There are some big changes coming soon in PCs. Mainly dual core CPUs and 64 bit CPUs and OS's.
    Dual GPU or SLI boards are becoming more common too but theres still a lack of support for them. Once 64 bit OS and CPUs become more mainstream Ill probably start again with a new system. For todays normal apps I think what most of us are using is more than enough.

Lets face it. Its only the latest games that really push our hardware, and now that consoles are becoming predominant I have noticed a trend for PC/console games makers to lower the spec requirements in order to fit current gen consoles, making some PC games look worse!

Things may get better once next gen consoles are released. Thats when we should see another step in PC's too.

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I'm waiting till they get SLI / Dual cards sorted - atm the performance increase is less than 25 - 30 % for double the cost .... hopefully they will get this above 50% at some point like the orignal voodoo SLI's.

I'd hold off on dual cores for awhile on gameing machines as well - as you'll take a performance drop .... as games won't take advantage of them down to the way they are coded.
    That means you'll take a performance drop because the dual cores are lower clock speeds .... and you'll only be using 1 of the cores.
    Its probably best to forget about dual core till the games you have atm are played out ( or your fav's get ported if you are lucky )

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course there's a trade off. Lower/slacker mem timings with a higher cpu clock can produce inferior results to a lower cpu speed with higher fsb :D .

I say go for 3.5gHz :clap:

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,448
    Yeah, you can never have too many mhz!!