• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cpu + mobo

Dfly

Standard Member
Looking for a good base for a my pc, Will be mainly used for gaming, Have no preference to intel/amd or dual/quad so all suggestions welcome. looking to spend around 300-350£ for both mobo and cpu, Also have a 8800gt 1gb not sure if this will suffice on new games ? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

buccy

Standard Member
I think you can't go wrong with the Core i5 750 for the CPU, as for the motherboard its dependent on what you want to do with it as only a few P55 boards support SLi and crossfire. For about £350 you could stretch to a i7 920 and Asus P6T. The 8800 should be good for a while yet, wait and see what Nvidia do in the next few months before purchasing a new GPU.

Dfly

Standard Member
Whats the difference between p6t and the p6t se ? I know asus se's are usually "lighter versions" but doesnt seem much between these :)

PartyGirl

If you're only gaming then going i7 is pointless. These boards and chips are optimised for multi-threaded apps, get yourself a decent 775 board and chip (Maximus Formula/E84/5/600) and overclock. If you plan on keeping that GPU then you won't experience any bottleneck, get a X2 however...

If you want better performance in gaming then the best upgrade is always the graphics card

C.

Dfly

Standard Member
Thanks for the input, but i have 295 gtx available that i was planning on selling as i got it for free but if i needed it i could always keep it :) so just buying mobo + cpu atm. Preferably have upgrade options on the cpu when the time comes around again which is more than likely to be quad core so leaning more towards the i5 atm .

PartyGirl

If you go i5 you'll limit your upgrade path as the P55 skt will only support X8 X8 lanes in crossfife/SLI whereas you could have full x16 x16 with a X38/X48/790i 775 board. The difference isn't huge but it is there. If you felt you needed a quad then even the qx series are peanuts now second hand. Ps, if you're looking to sell the 295 i have a wanted thread in the classifieds for one of them ;)

Last edited:

Dfly

Standard Member
Ive got abit of money to spend so im not really looking at second hand but thanks for suggestion . and about the 295 its bnib so wont be letting it go cheap :p

PartyGirl

Ive got abit of money to spend so im not really looking at second hand but thanks for suggestion . and about the 295 its bnib so wont be letting it go cheap :p

It's your build, I'm not trying to tell you what to dobut some bits second hand can save you a good bit of money.

I wasn't suggesting you should sell cheap but I wouldn't pay silly money for it. I could probably get a 5870 for less ;)

spokza

Standard Member
Whats the difference between p6t and the p6t se ? I know asus se's are usually "lighter versions" but doesnt seem much between these :)

One of the differances is SE only supports crossfire where the P6T supports sli aswell. Not sure about the rest.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom