1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Heatsink Removal

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Hawklan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Whats the safest and easiest way to remove a heatsink and the Thermal sealant from a AMD Althlon 64 3500 CPU
    The Heatsink is a Thermalright XP-120

The reason why I want to do this is the CPU is running hotter than I'd like and reading up a bit more on the heatsink I might well have applied to much sealant

Many thanks

RON

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    follow the instructions that came with the cpu/motherboard to install it and do it in reverse, or check the amd website...what sealent did you use, once all the brackes/screws are gone you have to twist the heatsink left and right slightly with some force to remove it from the cpu, well that's how it is for Intel Cpu's..

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Not sure about a 64 but the Atholons you needed a flat head screwdriver to prise the clips off the motherboard (down and then out) then the heatsink and fan lifts straight off. If you got it on in the first place getting it off will be easy.

Use tape head cleaner to remove the exising paste then re-apply with the edge of a credit card.

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XP120 simply unclips.
    Once the clips have been removed gently easy teh heatsink off by twising from side to side.
    I use Arctic Silver cleaner and surface preperation to clean the surface of the CPU and heatsink. You can use meths or any alchohol based cleaner though. Arctic silver actually have some good instructions on their website for applying their compound

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    For removing the thermal paste get a bottle of Akasa Tim-Clean, from Maplin, at £6 a bottle it's expensive, but it does a good job and will last you a long time..

6. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Thanks for coming back to me
    I used Arcric Silver paste - and looking at the link that Skunkpipe provided I put way to much on
    So it looks like this may be why I'm getting temps maybe 10 degrees higher than I should

Many thanks

RON