CPU fan error

Foster1984

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. All other components are the same as before.

However, now whenever I the PC starts up it fails to boot saying CPU fan error. If I enter the BIOS and tell it to ignore (no monitor) the CPU fan, everything boots up fine and works perfectly.

However, I would prefer it if the BIOS would monitor it, so should any problems arise it makes me aware of them. In case you are wondering, the CPU fan is spinning, and nothing appears to be getting hot (though I have yet to do anything particularly taxing).

My build is as follows;

i5-4590 CPU
Asus H81I-Plus MB
Corsair 4GB RAM x2
Samsung EVO Pro 120GB SSD
WD Green 2TB HDD
Pioneer BD writer Drive
Corsair CX750M PSU
Coolermaster 120 Elite Case

Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing the error? I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A error will be reported if pulses from the fan aren't detected, it could be one loose connection.

I've checked the connections. Have even tried moving it from one fan power switch to the other.

Still says error. :-/

It has to be on the CPU fan connector, normally a four pin connector.

There are 2 CPU fan powers on the board, I have tried connecting it to both of them. The connector only goes on each one way to, s have to be putting it on right.

I've even tried going into the BIOS and turning down the lowest alarm setting all the way down to 100RPM, but it still alarms. The only way I can get it to not alarm is by telling the BIOS to ignore it.

Have many pins/holes for pins do the motherboard and fan connectors have?

4 pins on each of the motherboard connectors and 4 holes on the fan connector.

Hi, if I were you I would remove the cpu fan and clean the base of the fan thoroughly and also the top of the cpu and then apply some new thermal compound, then make sure the fan is seated and secured firmly back on top of the cpu and see if that fixes the problem.

Yeah, I will have to try this. As its only a small case, get fiddly having to take everything in and out just to check one component. :(

Its also annoying, as the fan works. It spins and the CPU temp never goes higher than 48c on CoreTemp, after about an hour of gaming. I can't figure this out. :facepalm:

But I would like the BIOS to monitor it, in case any issues arose in the future.

Is there a BIOS option to monitor one or two fans?So the cooling is working.
You could disable the fan monitoring in the BIOS and rely on temperature warning.

It can monitor 1 CPU fan and 1 Chassis fan. I have CPU fan monitor off at the moment, thats the only way I can get it to boot up into Windows.

I would just prefer to have the BIOS monitor it though, that way it will speed up and slow down as neccesary. As at the moment I have to have the RPM set high in case I want to game and push the CPU a bit, but this in turn means that at idle there is a noticable fan noise/hum.

on some motherboards if the fan isnt spinning fast enough it will also say cpu fan error, there are some boards where you can set the lowest rpm you want the fan to spin, if you can you might want to make it higher (also some motherboards show the lowest voltage instead try increasing that)

I have managed to sort it now.

I was being stupid, I had not realised that one of the CPU fan connectors was a CHA fan connector. I had connected it to the chassis fan connector :facepalm:

I have switched it over now and everything is working brilliantly! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom