1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU cooling.

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by plop211, Apr 10, 2005.

1. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I'm after some advice, i'm building a new HTPC and have everything but the CPU cooler sorted. I'm running an XP2400+ on a 8RDA+. I was keen on the ZALMAN 7000Cu but unforunatly i don't think that will fit due to the layout of the CPU on the motheboard. I have started to look at the aerocool DP-102 but i'm not sure if this would do the job with just one low RPM fan attached, also the sheer weight of it worries me also.

Anyone got any ideas on what would be suitable?

Oh and for info i'm using a LC10 as the case with a TAGAN 380watt supply.

Thanks in advance
    Colin.

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've heard some good things about the ThermalRight SI-97 although again you'd better check compatibility before purchasing.

3. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The Scythe coolers are thought of highly by the htpcnews.com team. you'll find info about them in their sub $1000 hcpc guide (not the <$1k a64 guide) and the coolers section of their review forum. quietpc have the samuari, apparently its the follow up to the kamakaze that htpcnews looked at.

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We found the Zalman to be too noisy.
    We now use ThermalRight (SP-97) + a 92mm panalo fan + zalman fanmate - this works very well and is extremely quiet indeed. We've had success running the TheramlRight fanless on slower (celeron 2.4GHz) processors providing the airflow in the rest of the case is good

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Zalman is not bad on its lowest setting using the Fanmate, however i have mine connected to a manual Fan Controller and i litterly nudged the Fan Controller up until the fan started moving nothing more, and this keeps the CPU cool enough and is silent

6. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Consider the Arctic Cooling Freezer

7. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replys guys think i might try the ThermalRight SP-97 since i know it will defintely fit and work with XP processors.

Col.

8. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Could use an asus start ice if you hack off the original fan and stick a silenX one at the other end

9. Roo

Roo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi!

I'm building my first HTPC at the moment. I picked up an XP2500 and MSI K7N2 Delta from the classified forum. I thought I knew which HSF I was getting with it, but made a rather large mistake when researching it. This is how the (very temporary) setup looks at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    No, it isn't a jet engine, although it can be made to sound like one.

As you can see from the photo, probably like Colin's, my CPU is right up against the PSU. The other problem I have is that the K7N2 does not have the four mounting holes around the CPU, which restricts my choice of heatsinks.

HybridPC sell the Thermalright ALX-800 for £9.99, and SilenX 80mm fans for £11.99 which may be a nice quiet setup. Thermalright reckon that the ALX-800 will fit my motherboard (and Colin's). Any thoughts on this heatsink and fan from people is greatly appreciated.

Colin - what are you considering fanwise for the SP-97?

Cheers,
    Andrew.

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panaflo (MMM) FBL 92-L1A - cost about £7 and is suburb. You'll need some sort of fan controller to throttle it back a bit though.