Cpu cooler

dunc66

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
New to pc gaming i ordered an aftermarket cpu cooler for my new pre-built system but did not realise the mother board had to be removed to fit a fitting bracket behind the cpu socket ... way beyond my ability 😆,, Question ?? Do all fan type coolers require this proceedure or are there any that will fit without the need of pulling out the mobo ? My acer orion predator has no panel that can be removed to gain access to the back of the mobo ...
Thanks ..

You don't say which socket your CPU uses and I'm not familiar with the high end sockets but for the mainstream stuff the backplate is usually only used on heavier coolers that need to spread the weight. Most others just use push-pins or clips that mount from the front.

Ah forgot to mention ,, it's an intel LGA 1200 socket on a b560 board ..Acer predator po3 630 pc i 5 11400 f cpu

Taking out a motherboard is not hard, Take plenty of pictures of all the connections from the psu, headers, sockets etc, be careful and take your time, remove the graphics card if fitted, if you have to remove the hard drive cage do that also as it helps access to the main board. Then undo all the main board screws and lift out.
I can usually do motherboard swaps in about 15 minutes only because I have done lots of them, but take your time and be gentle and you can do it .

Hi All
New to pc gaming i ordered an aftermarket cpu cooler for my new pre-built system but did not realise the mother board had to be removed to fit a fitting bracket behind the cpu socket ... way beyond my ability 😆,, Question ?? Do all fan type coolers require this proceedure or are there any that will fit without the need of pulling out the mobo ? My acer orion predator has no panel that can be removed to gain access to the back of the mobo ...
Thanks ..
Use some packets to hold the screws and take photos of where all the screws go.

You need the panel as modern CPU coolers have specific requirements as to mounting pressure.

Just note that the mounting standoffs can become loose when you start unscrewing things so give them a tighten when the motherboard is out - just use a set of pliers to twist them.

Follow these guides
Removal:
Installation:

You should be fine with a small tower cooler with pushpin-style mounting then, a Hyper TX3 or similar.

The other potential issue is how the current cooler is mounted. If that's got a backplate then you don't want to let that drop down the side of your motherboard so you'd have to take everything apart anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom