CPU 70degrees

jrwagh333

Established Member
Reaction score
cpu running at full blast at 70degrees... is this safe? if not what is good fan for AM2 AMD 6000+?

Thanks.

cpu running at full blast at 70degrees... is this safe? if not what is good fan for AM2 AMD 6000+?

Thanks.
No. :rolleyes: It 'can' run up to 70 degrees, but that is at it's limit. It would probably damage the cores if it keeps running at that temp. You need to get it down to around 38-45.

The Sythe heatsinks are good for dual cores. Otherwise look at Arctic's solutions such as the Freezer pro.

What heatsink are you using? It may be simply that it isn't seated correctly, or that there is insufficient or too much thermal paste.

Also, what mobo is it?

Something wrong. I have the 5800, it is .2ghz slower but basically the same chip, like yours it has a maximum of 65C, but even at full pelt I have never got it above 50C on stock fan.

I would check to see if you have a defective fan.

Forgot to ask, is this an own build or a prefab.

I'm having the same problem on my Asus A8n32-SLI Deluxe board. I tried repasting and reseating the HSF on the cpu and it has made no difference. It steadily rises to 70-ish degrees then switches off.

It may sound silly, but what could well have caused it is the recent 'good weather'! All of a sudden the fans have had to kick in that much quicker and you may find it's caused one to fail! I'd check them as 1st port of call!

What fan speeds are being given in the bios or monitoring software guys? If they have dropped below 500rpm then that's your problem.

It may sound silly, but what could well have caused it is the recent 'good weather'! All of a sudden the fans have had to kick in that much quicker and you may find it's caused one to fail! I'd check them as 1st port of call!

Thats true...... when you go to work ask your IT Manager to show you around the firms computer room.

When you go in there it will be almost as cold as winter as computers make a lot of heat...... if the room is hot computers in them will be even hotter, so a cooler room = cooler computer.

my fan is going at 3000 rpm.. its currently at 50 degres on now load (my cpu) and so is my mobo..

do you think i need to get a better fan? if so which one? i dont mind paying a bit to keep my cpu really cool

my fan is going at 3000 rpm.. its currently at 50 degres on now load (my cpu) and so is my mobo..

do you think i need to get a better fan? if so which one? i dont mind paying a bit to keep my cpu really cool

The motherboard should never be as hot as cpu...........

Hard drives also make a lot of heat.

If you don't mind butching 1 side panel of your PC case, you need to work out where the CPU, hard drives and air gap for the motherboard (gap between PCI cards and hard drives = air gap).

Then (depending on the size of you CPU cooler), either get 2-3 x 80mm fans or 1-2 x 120 mm fans, cut holes in one side of the PC case (over the CPU, hard drives and air gap on the motherboard) and fit these.

In theory these should keep the inside case temp down........ but you would butchered the side of the case.

I've been recomend this fan. what does everyone think?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-027-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821

I was told it will keep my CPU pretty cool, and because it so big it will keep things around it quite cool aswell?

Or should i get the next size down?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-021-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821

I've never used anything apart from the AMD fan that came with my CPU. Its going at 3000 RPM and after looking at the fan above, they go at about 2000 RPM so in my mind wouldnt it end up making the CPU hotter then it alredy is?

Make sure the huge fan will fit inside the PC case and use some decent thermal grease such Arctic silver or Mx2, then see what happens.

what dose the grease do? can i pick it up from overclockers?

You can pick it up from overclockers.

Your current CPU will have thermal grease on it.

Thermal grease allows more heat to be transferd from the CPU to your heat sink and fan.

It could be your case isn't very Thermally Efficient.

The case can make a large difference to the internal temp. I chose a case with no side vent because I believe that it really aids air flow, and my mobo is between 27C and 40C and my CPU is between 30C and 55C which is well within tolerence.

1st thing to do is check for a BIOS update, there can be errors scaling the thermal sensor readouts with some CPU's. It was about +20C out last time it happened to me.

1st thing to do is check for a BIOS update, there can be errors scaling the thermal sensor readouts with some CPU's. It was about +20C out last time it happened to me.
Good point. Several boards have this problem. BIOS updates don't always cure it.

On the fans, the stock coolers have pretty small, low CFM fans, so even though they are pushing 3,000 rpm they aren't really removing much hot air. The bigger fans, 80-120mm, and deeper with wider blades, run at slower speeds (less noise) but cool the CPU better.

As some have said, if the case isn't vented correctly, with at least one intake and one outlet fan, then things will get hot.

As long as you don't overclock and have good case fans I have found that the current AMD stock heatsinks are very good. Of course a good 3rd party option will generally keep it cooler than stock, but as long as you aren't overclocking there isn't much point.

The same can be said for thermal paste, the stuff that comes with the processor will be good enough as long as you aren't over-clocking the chip.

Several boards have this problem. BIOS updates don't always cure it.
Perhaps not immediately, sometimes takes a while for them to get round to it, its worth checking online and with the mboard manufacturer if your board has a known problem though. If confirmed you can usually increase the thermal cutout trigger as a workround.

The other clue is seeing a system temp of 50C on no load. Chipsets with integrated graphics working hard (ie playing a game) or with a faulty heatsink/fan might reach that temperature, its not very credible otherwise and ambient case temperatures needed to do it would be obvious to the touch. A pointer to a misread temp sensor rather than a real fault.

Perhaps not immediately, sometimes takes a while for them to get round to it, its worth checking online and with the mboard manufacturer if your board has a known problem though. If confirmed you can usually increase the thermal cutout trigger as a workround.

The other clue is seeing a system temp of 50C on no load. Chipsets with integrated graphics working hard (ie playing a game) or with a faulty heatsink/fan might reach that temperature, its not very credible otherwise and ambient case temperatures needed to do it would be obvious to the touch. A pointer to a misread temp sensor rather than a real fault.
Agreed.

It's worth signing up to your Boards manufacturers forum to see if anything has been posted on the topic, and to see if any BIOS updates have worked. It might even be worth just posting there to see if the problem is common anyway.

@mattclarkie, the new AMD stock coolers are pretty hefty as you say. The ones for the 6000 and 6400 are the heatpipe type. If the OP is using one of those, then something else is wrong as they aren't far off the 3rd party coolers for performance.

Yeah, i have the 6000+ and as soon as i turn my PC on after about 2 days of it being off, its at 30 and within 5 minutes gose to around 50.

My mobo is - "Asrock ALiveDual-eSATAII" - i'll look around the internet for an update, i dont suppose anyone else has this board? - http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Alivedual-esata2

I use the fan that came with the chip but am looking into this one
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-021-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821

do you think it will do a better job and is it bigger then the one i have becuase i dont know the dimentions of the one i have now :(

Ive took the side of the case of and got a fan blowing in there and the CPU temp on no load is 37 Degrees C. Something must be wrong.

Thanks everyone for your help by the way :smashin:

Ive took the side of the case of and got a fan blowing in there and the CPU temp on no load is 37 Degrees C. Something must be wrong.
Another thing to check is that Cool'n'Quiet is actually enabled in the BIOS, otherwise your CPU is never really under no load and that would be a believable temp... so obvious we all overlooked it :rotfl:

If that turns out to be the problem then you probably just need to improve case ventilation - check front and side fans blow in, rear ones blow out. The stock cooler wont have much headroom on a 6000 and needs all the help it can get. On really bad case designs drilling a few large holes in the side panel can help, I do it near the drive cage and stick on fan dust grills.

I was in the same shoes as you so i know what your going through.

That proves it......... your case is getting hot and that isnt helping the CPU.......

Getting a better case with better ventilation will help a lot to lower temps.

If you can't afford that, then do as i suggested in my last post on here.

I use the fan that came with the chip but am looking into this one
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=57&subcat=821

The old fan was ok in an " ideal world " but the new one will make it run cooler but if the PC case is hot you wont see that much difference.

i dont know the dimentions of the one i have now

Get a 6 inch ruler and roughly measure it as square (Height, width, depth), then get a tape measure and
:-
1) Measure how high the side panel is from the bottom of the case.

2) Measure how much space you have from the top of your current heat sink and fan to the top edge of the case (where the side panel fits).

These 2 measurements will tell you if your new fan will roughly fit or not.......

I had to do the same on my PC with my new heat sink and fan.........its a pain to do but worth it as then you know what can and can't fit in the case or if your getting a new case how big it needs to be.

I was just going to suggest checking the Cool n Quiet.

With the Asus boards there is an app that you can install which also manages the Cool and Quiet, called Cool 'n' Quiet (duh). I assume that Asrock also have a similar app to, working on the theory that the mobo supports the feature.

Iknow for a fact that Cool'N'Quiet is DISABLED. so making this enabled will improve the temps?

What does it acctualy do?

EDIT Just turned on Cool'n'Quiet.. Normaly sitting around 50'C on no load with case on, Sitting around 42'C With case off, no load, desk fan blowing in... I'll report back this evening with temps with Cool'nQuiet on.

Also while i was in bios i had a look around and if i wish i can enable AM2 Boost... What is this?

Iknow for a fact that Cool'N'Quiet is DISABLED. so making this enabled will improve the temps?

What does it acctualy do?

EDIT Just turned on Cool'n'Quiet.. Normaly sitting around 50'C on no load with case on, Sitting around 42'C With case off, no load, desk fan blowing in... I'll report back this evening with temps with Cool'nQuiet on.

Also while i was in bios i had a look around and if i wish i can enable AM2 Boost... What is this?
I wouldn't enable it. The idea is that it trades off noise against temp. As the CPU load decreases so does the fan speed. It aims at a mean temp that balances between noise and temp.

I never use it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom