CPRM, DVD-RAM, and playback on laptops

K

kosovorick2003

I've got a Panasonic DVD Recorder, which I use to record to DVD-RAM. I then take the DVD-RAM disks and watch them on my Sony laptop when I travel - is that cool or what? I record programs off the TV, and watch them at my leisure when stuck in economy class.

However, this weekend I tried to watch some programs and the programs froze on the screen. They played back fine on my Panasonic machine, but skipped and froze on the laptop.

I downloaded the updated version of Intervideo WinDVD 6, and got this message when I tried to watch a program:

"Your drive can not support CPRM disks."

Well, I had never heard of CPRM before, but this could not be good news.

So after reading a few internet sites, I went looking for non-CPRM DVD-RAM disks - to no avail. But in reading the manual for my Panasonic DVD recorder, it says that my machine allows for one-time recording of CPRM materials.

Is there anything I can do to make my laptop able to watch CPRM materials?

I can watch some of the programs with two programs: Intervideo WindDVD 6, and Windows Media Player 10 - but they don't work with all programs.

Should I try to buy old, non-CPRM DVD-RAM disks? Would that help?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Rick

My understanding is that CPRM allow for One Time Recording.
Whereas, you are trying to record the program twice (once onto the HDD and again onto a DVD-Ram).
Perhaps you shud try and record directly onto DVD-RAM?

CPRM protection only prevents duplication of the "one time recording" not the playback of the recording, so maybe new version of WinDVD reconises that your Sony laptop is not compliant to CPRM key, key may be written to DVD-RAM disc when recording from a digital service provider, not free to air via the tuner, try the problem disc on another laptop, I didn't know Sony laptops played DVD-RAM, learn something new every day :)

There was a link to a site selling CPRM free RAM discs in one of the Panasonic/LG drive threads I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom