1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CP-X050 Too Bright

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DOHUK1, Aug 8, 2005.

1. DOHUK1

DOHUK1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Hitachi CP-X950 projector, when I try using it for projecting from my TV, VIDEO or CABLE the picture is too bright, this cannot be altered by adjusting the controls on the projector.
    Anyone suggest a remedy.

Thanks

2. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Paint the wall grey. Will drop the brightness but improve your blacks

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Or use an ND2 filter which will drop the light output by half (not as bad as it sounds).

You say you can't adjust the overall brightness for those three things using the pj controls, but can you adjust it via other sources?

How big is your screen?

Gary.

4. DOHUK1

DOHUK1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for replying, I have tried a darker screen but that doesn't help the overall effect is darker but the washed out (too bright) area's are still not viewable.
    I do not have a ND2 filter so I cannot test so I will have to look into that one, as fo other sources, currently i'm taking the output from a cable box and there is little or non in the way of adjustment.
    It just seems that the video signal is not matched with the input on the projector, I was wondering if there was something that could go in line between the video source to adjust the signal level?

David

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Have you tried reducing the contrast setting on the projector?

If it's looking too washed out then that could be the cause, or even a gamma setting that's too high.

Do you have a THX DVD handy? If so, use the THX Optimode to set the white and black levels (contrast for white, brightness for black), and see what that looks like.

There is a link at the top of the page for basic calibration and that might help.

Gary.

6. DOHUK1

DOHUK1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

I have adjusted the contrast down to zero with little effect, I have also reduced brightness down to zero, no effect, dont have a gamma adjustment
    Sharpness and R & B balance but none of the adjustments on the projector have any effect.
    Works perfectly with presentaions etc, only when its connected to the video out of a TV, Video etc do I get the problem

David

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    So the adjustments only work via the VGA input? If that's the case you may have to resort to using the PC as your only source (many do as it gives better quality).

Gary.

8. DOHUK1

DOHUK1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to close off this thread I have now solved my problem.
    I have inserted an old Aerial Attenuator in the video line, the attenuator is designed for Aerial In TV Out using standard coax sockets, I purchased two Phono to Coax cables from Maplin, the attenuator has an adjustment from Min to Max just adjusted until picture was perfect, nearly as good as the TV!I would suggest anyone with a similar problem gives this a go.

Thanks to those who passed on their suggestions

9. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awww. I was going to suggest sunglasses.