Cowon A3 not playing Vobs

Learchamp01

Standard Member
Hi,

Recently brought a Cowon A3 and even though the spec says it plays Vob files my player will not and i get a codec not supported message. I have upgraded the firmware but still no luck.

Anybody else have one of these and have had the same trouble.

profquatermass

Novice Member
Hi,

Recently brought a Cowon A3 and even though the spec says it plays Vob files my player will not and i get a codec not supported message. I have upgraded the firmware but still no luck.

Anybody else have one of these and have had the same trouble.

Same here. I just bought one today and put in it the very latest firmware too (1.24).

VOBs don't play.

I ran Gspot over a VOB and it said:

DVD "VOB" format
MPEG-2 Program Stream << { 1 vid, 1 aud }
Sys Bitrate: 10080 kb/s VBR

(I do run DVD43 on my PC as this removes the copy protection.
If I don't, then I can't even copy the vob to a external folder.)

Maybe it only works on unprotected DVDs?

Time to get on to:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/support/support_main.php
me thinks.

profquatermass

Novice Member
Looks like I've bought a bummer.

According to other forums (iAudiophile) the Cowon site is not offering support.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

They're not taking up registrations for many months now and so no registrations, no support!

Also its known that VOB doesn't work.

Time to take the A3 back to the shop.

Oh f**king hum... :mad: :mad:

steelydanfan

Sorry for the ignorance but what is important about vob files? I was looking at buying one of these or maybe the q5 but must admit to knowing nowt about what files or codecs are "must haves", :lease: explain.
Many thanks,
Oddbodd.

profquatermass

Novice Member
Sorry for the ignorance but what is important about vob files? I was looking at buying one of these or maybe the q5 but must admit to knowing nowt about what files or codecs are "must haves", :lease: explain.
Many thanks,
Oddbodd.

A VOB file is the actual video file on the DVD disc that contains the movie. The entire movie is broken down into chapters and these are stored on the disc as individual files called VOB.

So the A3 allows you to simply open a DVD disc in your computer, open the VIDEO_TS folder and copy all the relevant VOB files of the movie onto your A3.

This allows you to play the movie with no loss of quality on a TV or on the A3 to clients or yourself.

The alternative method is to run a video conversion program on your computer that takes 4-6 hours to convert the 2 hour movie into a video format the playback device can play.

The result is lower quality and of course the huge waste of time in converting them each time you want to view a movie.

I want to show programmes I've made on DVD to other people. But not having to carry a TV, Laptop or lots of DVDs. :)

Regarding Codecs you need. That depends on your current devices and video files you have on your computer.

mpeg2, used in DVDs as VOB is a must.
DivX and Xvid are both musts as videos on the Internet tend to be made using these.
The YouTube videos are mpeg4, so if you like to store these, then this is a must.

If you have a digital camera you may make small movies with it.
These tend to be .mov, that is a Apple Quicktime format and IIRC the A3 doesn't support that.

There is a free program called Gspot that you drop a video file into and it tells you what Codec is needed to view it. Very handy.

Here is a list I found which the A3 plays:
# Video formats: AVI, WMV, ASF,MP4, MATROSKA(MKV), OGM, MPG/MPEG, VOB, DAT,MTV DivX 3.11/4/5/6, XviD, MPEG-4 SP/ASP, WMV 9/8/7, H.264 MP, M-JPEG, MPEG 1/2

# Audio formats: MPEG1 Layer 1/2/3, WMA, FLAC, OGG Vorbis, AAC/AAC+, AC3, BSAC, True Audio, WavPack, G.726, CM
If you don't know what these do, don't worry. I use Wikipedia to find out.
ie VOB

BTW, you probably know MPEG3 is a audio format. This is actually the shorthand way of writing it. It's actually MPEG1 version 3.
MPEG2, which is a high quality video format, is actually MPEG1-v2, etc.

Postnote:
I've found that V1.23 of the A3 firmware plays back my VOBs.
The latest version, V1.24beta, didn't. My fault for using beta software I guess.
:D

profquatermass

Novice Member
I've now discovered that V1.23 of the A3 firmware plays back my DVDs and I found it even plays back commerical DVDs VOBs too.

Get yourself a free copy of DVD43 installed on your PC and its just a drag and drop from the DVD to the A3 folder to import the files.

steelydanfan

Phew, I'm not supprised you are a professor looking at that detailed explanation :D
Can I ask where you got your A3 from and did you look at the Q5 and decide the A3 was a better bet? Any chance of some pictures please just to get an idea of it's size etc.?
Many thanks,
Oddbodd.

STdrez625

Banned
mp3 is actually mp1 audio level 3 (ie sound only, no video)
Mpeg2 is different to mpeg1 (not a modified version of it)
mov's are a type of mpeg4 , as are divx and xvid

profquatermass

Novice Member
mp3 is actually mp1 audio level 3 (ie sound only, no video)
Mpeg2 is different to mpeg1 (not a modified version of it)
mov's are a type of mpeg4 , as are divx and xvid
.mov is a Quicktime multimedia container format and it doesn't need to have mp4 in it. It doesn't need to have any video or sound in it at all actually. Though that would be very rare.

See Wikipedia.

profquatermass

Novice Member
Phew, I'm not supprised you are a professor looking at that detailed explanation :D
Can I ask where you got your A3 from and did you look at the Q5 and decide the A3 was a better bet? Any chance of some pictures please just to get an idea of it's size etc.?
Many thanks,
Oddbodd.

I got my A3 from http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/

The Q5 doesn't offer VOB and is quite a bit too expensive.

Why would pictures help? You can find out how big it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom