Coving lighting and automation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tomc88, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Tomc88

Tomc88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    New home build

Hi all,I'm moving into my new home next month and meticulously trying to plan all aspects of the lounge to over come any problems I mite find whilst decorating. There's plenty on here about the false chimney breast I'm going to build to house the 3d tv and ps3 ect, already got most of the hardware to enable me to control it all via iPad or smartphone. The advice I'm after mainly is on coving lighting; ive read some threads that people have done on this topic in which they have used mdf, I'm worried that if it was to use this then the paint texture would be different from a plaster finish and as the whole room with be White it my look odd. Also the method in which the coving lighting is achieved is still unclear to me to get best results. Not sure it would be better to over board the ceiling and leave a 3 inch gap where it should meet the wall instead of physical coving? Any thoughts or examples of simple builds would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  2. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I've seen a piano black finish on MDF if you've got enough time on your hands.

Can't you get it sealed and skimmed so all the paint is on plaster?

3. Tomc88

Tomc88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh if I was to over board the ceiling I'd Batton it and get it plastered but I've seen projects on here where they build an mdf troff to house a rope light but if I was to then board and skim the coving I think it would weigh a tonne and be a knightmare to keep it on the wall.

4. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
  5. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi, it might be best to try it out on a piece of scrap wood. Tbh i dont think the texture difference will be that noticiable, but remember you need to undercoat/seal it first before your final desired paint covering. You can buy uplighter coving from artline decor it maybe worth a look. Its easy to fix and there are plenty of designs to choose from. Having said that its fairly expensive. Here's a link:
    Designer Colours - Cornice

James

6. Tomc88

Tomc88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers geps that's exactly what I'm after.. A pelmet to hide the rope light. To be honest I can't really tell the finish difference looking at that thread, like James said with plenty of undercoat and sanding it should look ok.

7. tonycooling

tonycooling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I did this on one wall in my bedroom. Just screwed some 45 degree battons to the wall and then planed the MDF at 45 degree both sides and screwed it to the battons. Dropped the rope behind it

Attached Files:

8. tonycooling

tonycooling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    and this

Attached Files: